Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002 H6 outback wagon. First time this happened it was snowing and road condition was snow covered. At 85-90 kph (canadian). I developed a sway in the car. Not a tail wobble but the car sways and rolls side to side to a point of scaryness and you have to oversteer to compensate, could not drive any faster. Dealer said that ice may have built up underneath and locked up the suspension. After washing the car the sway disappeared. Maybe they were right. the other day I drove into the same condition and after driving at 115 kph for about three hours I developed the sway again. couldn't drive faster than 80 kph ( too scary). I went a dealer again, same comment. ( Hey Guys, this is a subaru, it's for driving in these conditions!). When this happens, sure the roads were slippery, but a little embarrasing being passed by mini vans doing 100 kph. I've had the car checked out by a dealer and nothing is out of wack underneath. (suspension,ball joints, tire pressure, new tires, alignment,sway bar, shocks, etc.) I have a 1997 & 2001 outback as well and this has not happeneed. Any Help Out There?:-\

Are all your heat sheilds in place? i have jeard of this happening with other subarus when they are missing heat sheilds. (sounds odd to me too)

i think this is something odd to your car, since no one else has complained about it.

nipper

Are all your heat sheilds in place? i have jeard of this happening with other subarus when they are missing heat sheilds. (sounds odd to me too)

i think this is something odd to your car, since no one else has complained about it.

nipper

Everything is intact. The service center checked everything out and figures that i might need a four wheel alignment. I did that and the shop says that the wheels were out of wack. Subaru figure that when the wheel are out. the back wheels want to push the car from side to side in a slippery road situation when the AWD kicks in. I will try this outin the next raod trip when the roads are bad again.

mark4

nipper

This is very odd since i also own a 2001 Outback that does not do this.

mark 4

Sounds very similar to the same effect I have on my 1992 legacy, except that washing it doesn't do anything.

This is very odd since i also own a 2001 Outback that does not do this.

mark 4

A limited slip rear end end that is not performing well can easily cause this. They grip with one side or the other and steer that direction. You don't notice it on dry roads but when it is very slippery it shows up. There are other possibilities like something loose but that is usually easier to find.