Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bingo.

emissions, cat-converters, fuel standards....

(think engine timing, fuel injection, etc.)

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

thats it. Californa has very tight emissions. You need to match the engine and ecu properly, as im not sure what is going happen if they are miss matched. could be nothing, could be far worse.

nipper

What engine are you swaping into this car? Subaru engines of the same year are all the same. The emission junk on them may be different. Chances are that your '99 SOHC engine is not a 2.5L but a 2.2L.

What engine do you have?

What car are you putting it in.

Has the timeing belt been replaced on the engine?

Its a 99 2.5L SOHC ...it has EJ25 stamped into the block so im confident of that :cool:

Its going into a 97 impreza. I have the wiring harness and ECU from a 99 forester.

I have fuel pressure, the injectors are pulsing, the MAF signal looks fine but i am not getting much/any spark. So im working on some other things...im just wondering if there is anything retarded in the california ECU's that would be contributing to the problem

And before we put the engine in a new timing belt went in, correctly lined up.....

Guess i should have explained that in my 1st post :grin:

Anyway...any solid ideas on how these are diffrent would be great

my 99 leg l sedan 2.2l 5M 30th anniv is a cal emission car and was originally sold in oregon. it does not have a maf sensor. it has a map/speed density sensor like a 92 vette. also, the airbox intake system is less convoluted as some i've seen. imagine that: a more desireable system on a california car. i backed into some good luck.

You need to inspect the timing belt components. Specifically on California and 2000 and later cars the Drivers side cam gear (L) and the crank gear are different and they talk to the cam and crank angle sensors differently. There are more teeth on the crank gear and different teeth on the cam gear. The passenger side ® gear doesnt really matter.

You can swap the crank angle sensor and gear from your car along with the cam angle sensor and gear from your car to make it work. You should also leave the ECM from your car in, it should work as well.

This is a 99 MAF based engine from a Forester, i dont think the engine is california (how do i tell?) i picked up the ecu from a 99 2.5 RS aparentlly california....

Unfortunately 99 was the only year they had a MAF based SOHC 2.5....so i have to find exact applications:mad:

I have a lead on another ECU from a 99 forester that is cheap and 100% working and not california =0)

Shawn..if you have any true way of knowing if the engine is CALI or not let me know as im gonna get in and check the timing anyhow.

Also the outbacks and legacies in 99 were MAP then in 00 Imprezas and foresters followed suit