Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belts on... now some questions about the disty...

Im reading Miles Fox's writeup on the EA82 Timing Belt installation, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

I've gotten the belts on, and now its time to put the disty back in. The Writeup mentions to turn the crank until the flywheel is at 0, and then install the disty. But, which position does the disty need to be in? On the EA81 there was a mark on the disty gear, and the shaft that had to be lined up... is the EA82 the same way?

-Brian

Right, but which terminal is that? I see a mark on the gear, and a flat spot on the bottom of the disty, kinda like a point. The mark on the gear is between the pin that holds it to the shaft... its like a dimple in the gear, I assume im to line that up with the mark on the shaft?

-Brian

Put the cap on, and point the rotor at the #1 terminal. Rotate it back slightly as you install it so when the gears mesh and it turns it will be pointing at exactly #1. If your cap has no numbers on it, then just point the rotor at the terminal closest to the firewall, and call it good. As long as you have the engine at #1 TDC, and the rotor pointing at one of the terminals, it will work. Just put the plug wires on in the right order. There is a total of 4 ways in which the disy can be installed and work correctly - just have to move the plug wires around.

To get #1 TDC, pull the #1 plug, and rotate it till you feel air comming out with your finger - then find the mark on the flywheel.

GD

couple ways to do it...

The one I prefer, is to take off the passenger side tbelt cover (if it isn't already), and rotate the engine so that the cam dot is pointing due north-west (when you're close you can line up the 4 big dots to up/down).

Now you can put the disty in with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug.

That should get you close enough to get it running and time it with a light.