Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the hatch and I are gonna throw down here soon..

well i got the exhaust leak fixed and the damn thing sounds like its got a rod knock... (deep knockin no matter the rpm's)

i'm beginning to wonder if this hatch is really worth this much pain in my rump roast..

i know it shouldn't be too hard to get this EA81 outa there since theres nothin really under the hood anyways.. but i'f i'm gonna put another engine in this pile, i wanna get another complete engine and rebuild it from scratch.. that way i can just plop the damn thing in there...

any low budget suggestions on mods when i do this? if its not gonna cost me an arm and a leg i might as well do it to get some more power outa it..

Don't get down, rebuilding an engine is fun! I also see parts cars in the buy and sell, I'm sure you can find a reasonably good engine to drop in for cheap, though we wouldn't be looking at the same buy & sell :D

As for mods, a weber probably isn't low budget. You could put 1600 pistons in, if you can find a 1600, maybe do the secondary mod on the carb, and open up the air filter, bigger exhaust. Anything else is $$. I would get a weber first from the sounds of it, before I get any performance machining done.

Yeah, Just rebuild. I have forgotten just how much fun it is to mess with an engine until Hocrest and Dennis showed up at my house. I haven't done anything like that in YEARS and I already have the itch to tear down one of my old EA81's just to play around. Boz

Meeky, an EA81 can be pulled in under a half hour. It is just six bolts and a few hoses. Two men can lift it out and carry it around. As far as power, there are a number of routes to take. If you have free time in the next three days, in the evening, I can drop by and help you pull the engine and give you some routes on a build up.

-Scott

160?? and that's pulling it yourself?? Where do you live, NJ?? These yards are getting crazy. I will stick with Harry's in Hazleton where you get the complete engine for $50 TOPS. Heck, sometimes they have those deals where you pay like 20 bucks to get in and it's all the parts you can carry out kinda deal. I wonder when the next one is.

Yep. They are by far the best junkyard that I have been to. Probably the best on the east coast. They are known for being the largest U pull it junkyard in the world. (Supposedly) They are pretty DAMN big but the largest in the world....hmmmm, maaaaaybe There are some big yards out there. Funny thing is that this one is in the middle of a "city" and not only that but no matter how warm it is anywhere else, When you walk through Harry's gates guess what, You better be wearing thermals cuz it's ALWAYS cold as a bitch and windy as hell. Sorry for the words getting a little rough.

thanks for the offer Scott, i'm prolly not going to pull it until next month sometime... but like ya said it is pretty easy.. exhaust, trans, radiator, a few wires and hoses and whala... i know it can't wiegh more than my generator.. that thing takes 2 people just to move it and then its a struggle...

sounds like i need to wait for the $20 special.. come out with a couple spare engines and trannies.. :brow:

on another note i drove the pig to work this morning, the knock isn't any better or worse.. go figure... my past experience with rod knocks is once they start they only get worse, usually pretty quick like...

It could be 75 degrees and sunny with no clouds when you leave your house. But when you walk through the gates at Harry's its 42 degrees and raining with a 30 mph wind that cuts you in half....Been like that everytime I go up there....Always bring extra stuff to keep warm when you go to harrys....

Harry's