Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats wrong with my tranny( automatic)

Well when I got the car the tranny sliped. So I changed the fluid and aded a botle of lucas tranny stop slip and it semed to work fine. However when the car is cold and I start it up and try to go it is so low and barely moves, rev the gas and it will start to moved then sortta clunk into gear but not a noise type clunk it just goes. I checked the shift gear slector and its not apple cored at all, then I pushed in one of the spring loaded valves and it got stuck in, took it apart and cleaned it and installed and it seemed fine. I think it only does it sometimes because this morning it was fine. Could it be stuck again. It only does this when cold and then sorta takes one or two seconds when shifted from park to D, and will clunk in reverse but not slip. If I stop at a light its is fine. Is it also supposed to shift when on the gas hard or will it stay at a lower gear, because as I let off it shifts. It will shift fine when you shift manually., but when you shift to D after 2 it seems to/does shift to third.

Also if anyone has ever had this problem what they did to fix it, I am hopeing its just the type of fluid I used which was advanced and a bottle of Lucas stop slip. Also what fluid do you guys run and should I try.

What are the shift points for an 3 speed auto tranny, mine goes to second at about 15 mph then third at 28 and then sounds like it wines out, I guess this is normal as there is only three gears. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get everything in.

I have searched and havent fond anything about what type of fluid. I have only found a thread as close as what had happend to Boosted84wagon and he has help me in the most possible way that he can.

I have looked at my tranny and There is a large hose out of the top and not going to anythig, I guess this is a breather. I also found the module vaccum line and will replace this and also the module. How much does this cost.

The only other thing I can think of is that the module is bad and it only works when the vaccume is stressed.

The vacuum modulator is on the passenger side. A little back from the front cat. The shift points seem to be higher RPM with an original modulator, the after market ones seem to lower them, and I end up using the selector to get them where I like. Usually 3500-4000 RPM for decent acceleration. I wind 2nd all the way up to 5500 getting on highways. 4000 RPM in drive is normal for 65 MPH. There is a switch on the gas pedal that delays / holds the gear you are in when the pedal is floored. It also causes a downshift if you floor the pedal while crusing. When I switched to 100% synthetic ATF in mine, cold weather no longer had an effect on the transmission.

Dave