Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 Legacy LS wagon is making a strange noise. When you first start out on a trip, the first few times you touch the brakes, a buzzing (not like scraping brakes ) noise is heard from the rear. Most times it will continue after you release the brake pedal, but stops when you come to a complete stop. Again, it sounds like a motor , similar to the buzzing noise some fuel pumps make, but it starts only when you touch the brakes and it doesn't make the noise at all after you have gone about 1 mile.

I know the owners manual mentions warning strips in the brake pads, but would they sound like that? And also, this car has 104k on it. I would think the 'warning sound' pad would only be there if the previous owner had done the brakes with OEM pads

My 96 Legacy LS wagon is making a strange noise. When you first start out on a trip, the first few times you touch the brakes, a buzzing (not like scraping brakes ) noise is heard from the rear. Most times it will continue after you release the brake pedal, but stops when you come to a complete stop. Again, it sounds like a motor , similar to the buzzing noise some fuel pumps make, but it starts only when you touch the brakes and it doesn't make the noise at all after you have gone about 1 mile.

I know the owners manual mentions warning strips in the brake pads, but would they sound like that? And also, this car has 104k on it. I would think the 'warning sound' pad would only be there if the previous owner had done the brakes with OEM pads

Sounds like your due for rear brakes. the warning sound is standard on ALL brake pads no matter who makes them. AT 104K its not unusual for it to get its first rear brake pads. Front pads do most the work, but the rears do wear out eventually

nipper

Do you have A.B.S. sensors on the rear brakes?

Any failure with the A.B.S. is not suppose to do anything to change the normal breaking operation, it is always overrode and then works just like a car that has no A.B.S. or that is what is claimed by the makers of the systems.

Yeah, I was thinking it was something to do with the ABS.

Does the pedal feel any different when it is making the buzzing sound?

Thats how ABS works. Its a flow through system and almost bullit proof on soobys. And it does not sound like an abs failure or malfunction, as the abs system is in the nose of the car. It almost sounds like a loose backing plate. Is this rear drums or discs? Also dont rule out the fuel pump making noise when cold.

nipper