Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel gauge?

Hello all, I have a 90 Loyale 3sp auto with a gauge problem. I filled it up about 65 miles ago and now it's reading a 1/4 tank. I have no leak, I don't drive like a bat out of H3!! I'm going to fill it up when the light comes on just to see how many gallons it takes. I'm just at a loss for words right now. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

You don't have to wait for the light to come on. Just fill it up whenever and see how many gallons it takes, and then compute your mileage. Once you have an idea what mileage it's actually getting, you can use the trip odometer as your gas guage and ignore the other one.

I've found that most gas guages are quite non-linear, (though not usually as much as yours), so using the trip odometer is a more accurate way of really knowing how far you can still go, when gas stations are far between.

Could it be coroded/dirty electrical connections on the fuel sending unit? BTW does anybody know if these are internal or external to the tank?

Sending unit would be in the tank, and yes this could well be the problem. I had this issue on my 78 VW bus; solved it by buying an aftermarket VDO gauge with the appropriate sending unit (gauges and sending units are matched as to electrical output/resistance they work with). Took a little experimentation to bend the sending unit's arm to the right angle so it would read accurately.

Or you could certainly just use the odometer. Figure the car's worst mileage and then subtract a few miles per gallon so you don't ever run out of gas.

Sending unit would be in the tank, and yes this could well be the problem.

What I meant to ask is: "Are the terminals connected inside our outside the tank (on soobs)." In other words, do you have to remove the whole fuel sending unit (which would then involve re-sealing) or can the terminals be cleaned and tightend from ouside the tank?

terminals are outside the tank. but the problem will most likely be the unit in the tank.

Its really easy to change. ther is an acess port in the rear under the carpet. you can get to it from there. I just recently changed mine fixed my crappy readings. I think my dealer parts guy said I got one of the last ones in the system. with my hook up price it was around 80$.

you can go by miles if you want. your tank should hold almost 14 gallons if i am not mistaken.