Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When to change timing belt - Opinions needed

I have a 99 Legacy L Sedan 2.2L with 73,000 miles. When do I change the timing belt. The mechanic I have been using said Subaru says 60k but he says wait till 80k. What do you think?

While this is being done, I was going to replace the following parts. Is there anything I am missing, I want to avoid future problems and be able to depend on the car so I dont mind spending money on parts while this much is being done.

13073 AA142 Idler rollers (2)

13069 AA 037 Timing Belt Tensioner

13085 AA080 Roller Idler

13028 AA102 Timing Belt

21111 AA007 Water Pump

Oil pump seal (dont have part # yet)

yes you are correct they are non-interference engines

this comment needs to be edited. 1997 and later 2.2 engines are all interference engines. before that they are non-interference.

i can't remember but 2.5's have a 105,000 mile timing belt and some 2.2's may have come with that from the factory as well. im' not sure, have to look into that one. but if the manual says 60,000, i would replace it immediately, not worth the risk in my oppinion.

I have a 99 Legacy L Sedan 2.2L with 73,000 miles. When do I change the timing belt. The mechanic I have been using said Subaru says 60k but he says wait till 80k. What do you think?

While this is being done, I was going to replace the following parts. Is there anything I am missing, I want to avoid future problems and be able to depend on the car so I dont mind spending money on parts while this much is being done.

13073 AA142 Idler rollers (2)

13069 AA 037 Timing Belt Tensioner

13085 AA080 Roller Idler

13028 AA102 Timing Belt

21111 AA007 Water Pump

Oil pump seal (dont have part # yet)

this is an excellent list if you'd like the car to last quite a long time. the idlers and rollers are not necessary, but excellent prevenative maintenance items, particularly on interference engines like this. some people replace the water pump ever other timing belt. but again, while you're in there it is a good idea to replace it, i would.

you should have your timing belt changed at least by the recommended mileage, if not sooner. your 1999 2.2 is an interference motor, if the timing belt breaks you will most likely result in some level of damage, large or small to the pistons and valves. this is not to be taken lightly. i would replace it immediately. i did last summer in my 2.2 impreza with 60,000 miles.

so that means that there is a 1st gen 2.2, 2nd gen 2.2 and a 3rd gen 2.2??

97 and up 2.2's are interference engines, not sure it really matters what it's called. haven't heard that lingo used much on the new generation forum.

So, when the milage requirement comes up for my '97 Impreza I need to replace the belt otherwise "kablooey?"
you should replace it at that mileage or earlier.

"kablooey", is relative but chances are high that $eriou$ internal damage could occur.

'95 and '96 2.2 engines are non-interference with hydraulic lifters. '97 and '98 2.2 engines are interference, with solid lifters and changes to the valves and pistons. '99 engines are different than either of the other two, also with solid lifters, changes to the valves and intake, but are still interference. www.endwrench.com has some nice information about the changes made to the engines.

Brian M.

[...]When do I change the timing belt.[...]

Right before it jumps a few teeth or breaks.

Now, where did I put the keys to the TARDIS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS ;)

Otherwise, sooner would be better than later.

See:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2SingleOverWin01.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf

Also:

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487

Gates has downloadable literature, and you can check a particular vehicle online.

Even if your engine in non-interference, it's still a good idea to change it. They tend to go at the worst possible time. My 88 Buick Skyhawk snapped it's belt halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake. It cost me $250 for the tow to the nearest shop and because it was late on a Saturday, I had to wait until Monday to get it fixed. The whole deal cost me $500 for something I could have done on a Saturday morning in my driveway for $50.

By the way, it broke at 101,000 km (change intervals are 100,000). At 202,000 it snapped again. I still think GM puts little time delay charges woven into their belts so you can't get away with stretching the intervals. ;)

By the way, it broke at 101,000 km (change intervals are 100,000). At 202,000 it snapped again. I still think GM puts little time delay charges woven into their belts so you can't get away with stretching the intervals. ;)

"Time delay" I could comprehend, but I want to know how they so accurately determine road mileage. Remote reception of odometer data? ;):D

The jerk who sold me my 1999 Forester (with 144,000 miles) said he had the timing belt changed. Then he says the timing belt was changed before he bought the car at the dealership and if I need to know when I should call them and have them look it up.

Now, I call the dealership today and they say they have done nothing to that particular vehicle and that they will do the timing belt and water pump for me for a mere 500.00+ parts cost of the waterpump. Isn't that nice of them? GAG!!!

I am planning on going on a trip tomorrow, should I put it off until I can recycle enough cans to afford a timing belt change?

GRR. GRR. GRR.

i drove a 95 2.2l timing belt 90k after i changed it at 75k, when i bought it. the manual calls for every 60k, but califiornia 100k. but i doubt that the 2.5 l timing belt would go 144k miles without failing. pull off the cover and check the condition of the belt. it won't tell you when to change, but it might not look 144k old. if you can't find out when it was actually done, i'd change it. besides by the time you drive the new belt 100k miles you will have gotten your money's worth out of the car. if it fails you may never get your money out of it.

i jus changed the belt in my 97 obw at 98k miles. the water pump was leaking. i did belt, pump, and seals while i had it in the shop. $650.

The jerk who sold me my 1999 Forester (with 144,000 miles) said he had the timing belt changed. Then he says the timing belt was changed before he bought the car at the dealership and if I need to know when I should call them and have them look it up.

Now, I call the dealership today and they say they have done nothing to that particular vehicle and that they will do the timing belt and water pump for me for a mere 500.00+ parts cost of the waterpump. Isn't that nice of them? GAG!!!

I am planning on going on a trip tomorrow, should I put it off until I can recycle enough cans to afford a timing belt change?

GRR. GRR. GRR.

it is risky to run on an unknown timing belt. the risk is a high end risk too because this is an interference motor, so breakage could result in serious engine damage.

before the trip i would at least pull the timing belt covers and look at the timing belt. the side covers take all off 3 minutes to remove and inspect. well worth the 5 minutes to look at the belt and make sure it's not cracking or glazed over.

that's alot of money, but my cousin was quoted $699 from the dealer for the timing belt change i don't think that included the water pump, but maybe it did i don't recall exactly. she paid me for parts and i did it for free. make sure they inspect the pulleys as well, if a pulley is old and seizes it will break the belt no matter how new or old it is. then you're back right where you started, but worse. i replaced my cousins pulley. at your mileage the cogged pulley should almost definitely be replaced, they are typically the first to show signs of wear.

another good point is that at 144,000 it is highly unlikely it is the original belt, but in actuality who knows? anyway to get a straight answer from the previous owner for sure? double check which place he had it "replaced" at, maybe you called the wrong one?

but - if it is the original belt i wouldn't drive it any further than your mechanic. i would think an inspection like i mentioned earlier would possible show if it had 144,000 miles on it, it seems it would look pretty ragged.