Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch Q's

86ruguy

is the clutch just old and needs replaced?

do you think a new clutch, new pressure plate and resurface the flywheel (and replace if it's out of spec) wouldn't be enough?

i'm assuming you already have a 4WD clutch since it's a 4WD. an XT6 clutch will work and holds up a little better i believe. the more knowledgeable folks might have suggestions on which brands and the exact differences. you may need the XT6 flywheel, but otherwise it's a straight interchange.

properly installed XT6 clutches hold up great to the 145 stock horsepower and torque, do you plan on exceeding that by much?

i have had the clutch replaced and am still suffering from excessive slip, i don't think the clutch has enough grab for the way I drive.

you say an XT6 clutch will bolt up?

Did you dress up the Preasure Plate when you changed the clutch last time? I've made the mistake of NOT addressing that surface, and the New clutch slipped worse than the old one for a couple of hundred miles...

Fat Tony - http://www.smashbandits.com :headbang:

you know what happens when you assume, dont you? a shop might not have resurfaced the flywheel, and they might have just used your old pressure plate also, and only replacing the clutch. yes, the XT6 disc is a perfect fit, try to get your flywheel machined to XT6 spec. and get an XT6 pressure plate. that of course if the worst case senario. other than that you could try just getting a new pressure plate......maybe you should see if your clutch cable is tightened right....just to rule out possibilities.

~Josh~