Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cv joint near trans ?????

i hear a click or thump noise on the pass. side front of the car.you only hear it up to 15 mph and then it goes away.when i turn sharp right or left i don't hear the noise.is it the inner joint going bad?????thanks,Bill.

1992 loyale 5 speed 4 wd.

i hear a click or thump noise on the pass. side front of the car.you only hear it up to 15 mph and then it goes away.when i turn sharp right or left i don't hear the noise.is it the inner joint going bad?????thanks,Bill.

1992 loyale 5 speed 4 wd.

Usually bad DOJ's (Double offset joints) will not so much make noise as they will vibrate pretty drastically. You would know it - usually gets real bad quick. Check your axle nuts, and make sure the cone washer isn't worn out. Very common on the EA82's I've noticed.

GD

Usually bad DOJ's (Double offset joints) will not so much make noise as they will vibrate pretty drastically. You would know it - usually gets real bad quick.

And if you don't realize what it is, you'll probably soil yourself. It's REALLY scary!!!

Also, if it's effected by turning, it's not the inner joint, it's angle remains the same except for when the suspension compresses. So it's sound will not change when the wheel is turned. Also, if it's an outer one, it'll probably pull, or you'll feel the vibration in the steering wheel.

Remove it and look at it. Remove wheel, and the axle nut - then you can check both the outer CV joint, and the cone washer under the nut. It's probably either the CV joint, or the cone washer.... if the washer is wore out then you may have a situation where the axle has chewed the splines out of the hub, and it will just continue to destroy cone washers and hubs till you change the axle, hub and washer with good ones. Once the splines are chewed the hub AND axle are toast - even if the splines look alright on the axle they are not - within a few K miles the same failure will occur.

GD