Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spec.b - gauge your thoughts...

I have a spec.b which, as noted in earlier posts, has the dreaded Legacy GT stutter when accelerating when the engine is still cold.:-\

I have decided I want more information!!! to investigate this problem starting in the form of gauges.

boost

fuel preasure

fuel/mix

EGT

I'd also wouldn't mind having an oil preasure gauge and a knock sensor light mounted someplace.

So I have 2 questions to toss out there...

1. what products can help me mount all these gauges in a nice clean fassion... so far I can only come up with an "A piller/Perrin steering column" combo.

2. Where is the best place to tap in /run the leads for all these gauges?

Just trying to save some time and pain if you folks know a good place in the firewall to sneak threw.. or an accessable place to hook a particular gauge into.

My garage isn't quite finished yet so I haven't really had the chance to get into the guts of the car yet...

Thanks,

Hyteck9

does this help?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54185

john

I have a spec.b which, as noted in earlier posts, has the dreaded Legacy GT stutter when accelerating when the engine is still cold.:-\

I have decided I want more information!!! to investigate this problem starting in the form of gauges.

boost

fuel preasure

fuel/mix

EGT

I'd also wouldn't mind having an oil preasure gauge and a knock sensor light mounted someplace.

So I have 2 questions to toss out there...

1. what products can help me mount all these gauges in a nice clean fassion... so far I can only come up with an "A piller/Perrin steering column" combo.

2. Where is the best place to tap in /run the leads for all these gauges?

Just trying to save some time and pain if you folks know a good place in the firewall to sneak threw.. or an accessable place to hook a particular gauge into.

My garage isn't quite finished yet so I haven't really had the chance to get into the guts of the car yet...

Thanks,

Hyteck9

Thanks for the advice Ranger83...

I have read tons of posts about this issue, but it seems no one has a cure all solution for it. lots of things help but no one really knows the cause.

I'm just that way... I wanna know!!! I'll get an account there though. Nice folks there too.

johnceggleston....

The LCD device is an interesting option. This will be the first boxer engine I work on, so we'll see if it comes to that. Trend analysis is big for me, so I will want something with data-logging ability. I'll keep plugging away at it!

Thanks for the replies.

I know I haven't contributed much to this site since I got an account... just haven't had anything interesting to toss out there. Wait for warmer weather (and my garage to be set up) and you won't be able to shut me up!

Thanks again,

hyteck9

A knock light isn't going to help you with anything unless you can adjust your timing on the fly. Your best with a boost gauge and a exhaust temp gauge.

As far as mounting them; i am on a list for a HD mounted in the car, which has a remote mounted face plate. People have done wonderful things using bondo to make mounts, it looks and works like clay, is easy to shape, and easy to work.

i have been looking for a pod for a legacy for ages but no matter what list i go on no one has used one, or can recomend one.

nipper

I'm big on taking the time to make what I want...

so if the right pod isn't out there, I will fab something up.

I'd really like to see 2 banks of gauges on the dash right behind the steering wheel... getting closer together as you get further toward the windshield.. (following the natural hump above the factory cluster)

Can't find anything like that.. so.. I guess I'll try to make one???

We'll see.

I hate to turn out to be one of those all talk no go types...

so no promises yet.. just pretty visions bouncing in my head.:cool: