Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disty + Water = uncool

waimaks

Yep, I shoulda guessed, the first decent amount of water I try the brat out in.

I balls it up, and sputter and die meters out of the river....

Yes, a little too quick maybe?:rolleyes:

Ran, but badly.

Turns out after pondering and figuring it wasn't gonna dry its self out, a quick dabbing with a rag and we were good to go again.

Now, to avoid this happening again, I was thinking using some of that die-electric grease stuff to seal around the cap, and the leads etc.

Had also thought of using lanolin grease as I've got some of that lieing round.

Are these ok ideas?

Anyone else care to share some more light on this one for me?

Sorry if this topic has been done, feel free to tell me so.

For one of my trucks, I used RTV to seal the cap to the dizzy, and ran a vacuum line to an unused port on the air filter housing. You want the cap to be vented, or potentially explosive gasses can build up in there. A splash sheil on it will help to, many Ford Crown Victorias and LTDs (not sure of equivalents there) with the 5.0 engine have a nice rubber splash sheild over the cap and wires to help protect it.

I would suggest silicone grease in you plug lead ends and around the dizzy seal, also you can use a thin disposable rubber glove (the type the doctors use) and put small holes in the ends of the fingers and poke your leads through then put the wrist part of the glove over your dizzy so that the dizz cap and lead are all protected, then hold it on with a rubber band or something...

Cheers

I would suggest silicone grease in you plug lead ends and around the dizzy seal, also you can use a thin disposable rubber glove (the type the doctors use) and put small holes in the ends of the fingers and poke your leads through then put the wrist part of the glove over your dizzy so that the dizz cap and lead are all protected, then hold it on with a rubber band or something...

Cheers

nice!! ive never heard that before.

They sound like all good and I will have to try at least a few of them. THanks!

And about the Hitachi disty, Would an 84 brat have any different disty-ignition system in it, eg, is it any better? And can it be swapped easily?

Thanks all!:clap:

• 2 weeks later...