Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suggestions Needed: A/C Condenser Problem

'99 Outback wagon with 60,000 miles. Dealer tells me the A/C condenser is leaking and won't hold Freon (or R134 or whatever). What are my options (i.e. repair / replace), and what should I expect to pay?

What should I check before going ahead with replacement? Belts, O-rings, other?

it would be odd for a condensor this new to randomly start leaking unless it was punctured. any recent work done to the car, any recent mishaps to cause this on the front end?

a loose belt can cause the a/c to not work well, but you're likely to hear whinig or screetching noises with that.

there are fittings at the condenser, with each fitting have an oring to seal it. those orings can leak...though shouldn't on this new of a vehicle. if the oring is to blame, it's a 3 dollar part and the dealer doesn't stand to make much money so replacing the entire condensor is much more profitable.

me - i'd install a good used condenser as they don't fail too often (unless someone punctures it). i just priced a new one on-line at $167.00 just for the part. add more for dealer mark-up, installation, etc....i'd say at least $500.

the dealer will install a new condenser, say you have to get a new drier too (which really isn't a terrible idea depending how bad the leak is) charge you for vaccuuming the system and charging it with freon. $500 - $1000 depending how far behind they are on their boat payments.

Take it to a reputable shop or a/c shop.

The amount of money some shops charge for a/c work is absolutely ridiculous. I bought the gauges and vacuum pump to do all my own work. It really isn't that much work for the shop to do.

My only caution about used condensors is that you need to make sure they don't contain any contaminents like metal flakes from a compressor dieing, etc.

. I bought the gauges and vacuum pump to do all my own work. It really isn't that much work for the shop to do
agreed, i did the same thing and it's quite simple. but it's something most can't do and when you're showing up to work dripping in sweat those big repair bills don't seem quite as bad.

second/third quotes are a good thing. price around.

i agree, it is way to soon (if ever) to have a condenscer go bad on a sooby. Take it to an indepndet shop and let them check it out.

nipper

Sorry, but I must disagree, and being soob has nothing to do with it. Condensor is first in the line of fire for road debrise. Tons of people in PA that travel the turnpike in the winter wind up with bad condensors from salt and cinders that are put down on the road. Being that they are from Missouri I'm not sure if that would be the real cause, but if the condensor is leaking, odds are good it's from being hit by road crap somewhere in the 7 years it's been on the road.

Keith

Sorry, but I must disagree, and being soob has nothing to do with it. Condensor is first in the line of fire for road debrise. Tons of people in PA that travel the turnpike in the winter wind up with bad condensors from salt and cinders that are put down on the road. Being that they are from Missouri I'm not sure if that would be the real cause, but if the condensor is leaking, odds are good it's from being hit by road crap somewhere in the 7 years it's been on the road.

Keith

and i disagree with you. Look on this list and see how many condeseners have been replaced (or heater cores for that matter). Now if it was aford i may agree.

nipper