Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Castrol Syntec Blend Question?

I need to add some oil, but in checking the oil tag in the window, found out that Subaru dealership used Castrol Syntec Blend. Do I have to go out and find this exact blend or is okay to mix with regular oil? Do you always

need to make sure you have the same weight too... if so, does the Subaru Dealership have a certain weight they always use?

I need to add some oil, but in checking the oil tag in the window, found out that Subaru dealership used Castrol Syntec Blend. Do I have to go out and find this exact blend or is okay to mix with regular oil? Do you always

need to make sure you have the same weight too... if so, does the Subaru Dealership have a certain weight they always use?

its ok to mix, however Castrol Syntec Blend is fairly common so it wouldn't be any harder to find that vs mobil one or something.

most oil bottles say "compatible with other oils that meet so-and-so specifications"....etc. so, yes they should be, pick up a bottle of the stuff and read the label. but it is usually recommended to stick with one kind. if it were a really bad thing to mix then anyone who doesn't use the same kind of oil in a car since new would be doing something bad because there's no way to drain all the oil out of car....well there are ways, but not conventional of course.

did it use oil, how much after how many miles?

So, my advice on usenet not good enough!

yeah, I see how this is.

;^)

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Here is the response from the dealership service department...

"Yes you need to use the same weight if at all possible - 5W-30 - since we use a blend you can add either petroleum based or synthetic oils. Castrol 5W-30 Syntec Blend would be the best choice though."

Here is the response from the dealership service department...

"Yes you need to use the same weight if at all possible - 5W-30 - since we use a blend you can add either petroleum based or synthetic oils. Castrol 5W-30 Syntec Blend would be the best choice though."

That's a fair response - though a little 'anal' I guess. How low are you? You could put a quart of almost any oil on the shelf in and be OK till the next oil change. But yeah - keeping near the same viscosity is good.

You might enjoy some of the info and forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com too.

Carl

I have about 130,000 miles on the engine and burn about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. I have been doing oil changes around 4000 to 5000 miles. I have seen recommendation range from 3000 to 7500, so I split the difference. I am sure this has been discussed a number of times… is there a consensus?

I tried some of those quick lube type places, but found they were really risky. They did such things as get into a running car and turn the starter… overfill fluids… not put on caps correctly… so on. I now take it to Carter Subaru… does anyone know if they have a top off program?

I have about 130,000 miles on the engine and burn about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. I have been doing oil changes around 4000 to 5000 miles. I have seen recommendation range from 3000 to 7500, so I split the difference. I am sure this has been discussed a number of times… is there a consensus?

I tried some of those quick lube type places, but found they were really risky. They did such things as get into a running car and turn the starter… overfill fluids… not put on caps correctly… so on. I now take it to Carter Subaru… does anyone know if they have a top off program?

I think your change schedule is fine. Personally, I'd run name brand 10-30 or maybe 10-40 in the summer with that mileage on the car , 5-30 in the winter.- but it's hard to argue your system hasn't served you well.

perhaps someone else can comment further.

Carl