Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I'm back for another round of advice....the weather here is heating up and so is my impatience....let me reiterate, I love my 96 outback, but the problem with the inconsistent starting has got to stop.....I have not had any problems with the car (until recent where I spent about 2500 in some significant repairs and maintenance), but I am still having problems starting the car after it is warm...I have taken it to the dealer for a review, and of course they can't find the issue because it doesn't happen there....but the basic problem is this....I'll drive the car for about 30 minutes (to/from work).......shut it down and then take it to the grocery store to pick up something for the family....When I go to start the car for that second time (after it has run for 30 minutes) I get nothing.....no cranking, no grrrrr, no clicking, simply silence (with the exception of the radio). I’ve replaced the starter, replaced the alternator, replaced the battery.....these did not remedy the problem......when the problem now happens, I am able to start the car ONLY by turning the key to the “on” position and using a screwdriver/knife jump where the battery terminal hits the firewall AND the starter.....I hit it and it starts right up.....Looking for any thoughts on this as my wife also use the car and I am concern that she would be stranded somewhere....thanks to all who help!!! lizs5150

Even though it was replaced, seems like the starter (solenoid?) is going out. Keep a chunk of 2x4 or a bat with you and the next time it fails, whack the starter 2-3 times 'medium hard' and then try starting it. Not uncommon to get poorly rebuilt parts.

I suppose it could be some kind of poor ground or still a bad switch/relay in the starting circuit. Does any amount of whacking on the ignition switch area seem to help?

I dunno

Carl

Carl

i agree with carl you need a starter. Before you do that though, check your battery cables. take off thecables and clean them at both ends first. Battery cables do get old too. But this is typically a bad starter. Heat and electricity are not freinds. Starter gets hot from the engine, too much internal reisitance, no start. Starter cools down, car starts.

nipper

Even though it was replaced, seems like the starter (solenoid?) is going out. Keep a chunk of 2x4 or a bat with you and the next time it fails, whack the starter 2-3 times 'medium hard' and then try starting it. Not uncommon to get poorly rebuilt parts.

I suppose it could be some kind of poor ground or still a bad switch/relay in the starting circuit. Does any amount of whacking on the ignition switch area seem to help?

I dunno

Carl

Carl

Thanks Carl....I am not a car guy per say (thought I know enough to be dangerous)....but what I don't understand about the starter replacement as on option.....why would the car not start with the key, but as soon as I "cross connect/ jump" the terminals from the battery to the starter head, it cranks over and starts? ....that one has me puzzled...but then again, I am not a car guy...thoughts? by the way, thanks for all your help on this.....!

i agree with carl you need a starter. Before you do that though, check your battery cables. take off thecables and clean them at both ends first. Battery cables do get old too. But this is typically a bad starter. Heat and electricity are not freinds. Starter gets hot from the engine, too much internal reisitance, no start. Starter cools down, car starts.

nipper

Thanks Nipper....I am going to pose the same thoughts as I did for Carl above.....

I am not a car guy per say (thought I know enough to be dangerous)....but what I don't understand about the starter replacement would be if it is bad, why would the car not start with the key, but if I "cross connect/ jump" the terminals from the battery to the starter head, it cranks over and starts. ....that one has me puzzled...but then again, I am not a car guy...Thanks for all your input on this!

Thanks Nipper....I am going to pose the same thoughts as I did for Carl above.....

I am not a car guy per say (thought I know enough to be dangerous)....but what I don't understand about the starter replacement would be if it is bad, why would the car not start with the key, but if I "cross connect/ jump" the terminals from the battery to the starter head, it cranks over and starts. ....that one has me puzzled...but then again, I am not a car guy...Thanks for all your input on this!

easy

little wire high resistance solinoid when hot, little wire cant supply enuogh current to overcome the resistnac. Jumper cable big wire lots of current caan overcome the resistance.

There is the poossability it is the ignition switch. Here is how to find out. Dissconnect the starter wires and take a resistance reading across the solenoid when cold. Next when its hot and doesnt want to start, do the same thing again, and compare the two readings. If it was the ignition switch it shouldnt care weather its ot or cold. Also its rare for a sooby ignition switch to go bad.

People do get bum rebuilt starter and altenators (i know i have hence i dont buy from pepboys anymore). Some rebuilders replace the worn parts, other rebuild the entire thing, thats called remanufactured. Ideally thats what you want to buy.

nipper