Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cost to replace rear main seal??

Have a 98 Outback, auto, 100k - appears rear main is leaking. Oil appears on garage floor if the car is not driven for a week or more. Front of engine is dry (oil pump addressed 2 yrs ago) - valve covers look dry. What should I except this cost to be? Thanks!

the rear main seal, torque converter seal and rear seperator plate gasket should all be replaced at the same time. less than $20 in parts, a few hundred in labor. $300 - $600 depending on area/mechanic. check around for prices, this is a very straight forward job that anyone can quote. any BS and hang up and go elsewhere. i'd check a transmission shop as well, some will only charge $150 to swap a transmission (you provide the transmission_...my point being that's all that's required to replace the rear main seal basically. either the engine or trans has to come out to get to it. after that's it's under an hour labor. if they'd do a trans swap for $150 they'd do a rear main for $200/$250. i'd consider that a very good deal.

Mine started to leak at around 100,000 miles and a local transmission shop gave me a quote of 350.00 to replace. I decided to try the oil stop leak that Paul Harvey talks about on his radio progam I think it is the Gold Eagle brand and it stopped it from leaking. It was still not leaking at 288,000 miles when the idle pully busted and valves got into the pistons. Also the cam shaft seals never leaked after I used it. But you make up your on mind on this because not many here would ever use it. My job puts over 100 miles a day on my car and I used another brand with great success on the car I had before this one and it had neally 400,000 miles on it.

Have a 98 Outback, auto, 100k - appears rear main is leaking. Oil appears on garage floor if the car is not driven for a week or more. Front of engine is dry (oil pump addressed 2 yrs ago) - valve covers look dry. What should I except this cost to be? Thanks!