Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can I turbo / supercharge an '00 OBW?

My wife and I have a 2000 Outback Wagon.

140K miles, all seems well, slight oil leak that requires 1quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so, maybe 2,000.

can I put a turbo, or supercharger on this, if I happen to find one?

what problems will / would I have to get past?

thanks

Bryan

trade cars. There is so much work to develop an engine for a turbo you won't believe it. You could get a clip and engine from a turbo model and install it in yours but you need all the electricals and a fair amount of knowledge or money to pay someone. My guess is a reasonable price for a JDM turbo swap would be five grand around here.

also, boosting an older high mileage motor that leaks oil is asking for it to blow up. most people who do fully expect the motor to not last too long. if you want more power try just getting a 2.5, if you have one have a full service done, includeing air filter and transmission flush. that should wake it up, and give you a bit more power, and try to trace the leak, if its a valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket it shoulden't be too hard to replace, but if you're blowing the oil past the rings, boosting is the last thing you should do.

My wife and I have a 2000 Outback Wagon.

140K miles, all seems well, slight oil leak that requires 1quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so, maybe 2,000.

can I put a turbo, or supercharger on this, if I happen to find one?

what problems will / would I have to get past?

thanks

Bryan

I wouldn't recommend it. With a car with high mileage and an oil leak, I would recommend against it. Also, as everyone said, there's a lot of work involved in doing the upgrade. Upgrading to a turbo is fine on a low mileage car but you are upgrading an engine that isn't designed for it.

I would recommend looking for a used 05 Outback XT and trading in your 00 for the 05 XT. The XT is turbocharged and the engine/tranny is already designed to handle the extra power. :)

you can do it, but it would have to be a very low boost pressure, if you dont want to rebuild the engine. These are tough engines, but you are taking a 50/50 chance on doing it without a rebuild. You would have to add an oil cooler since the engine was not designed for turbo. Also there is a lot of plumbing to go through. you have tow choices, sell it and buy a proper turbo, or retrofit a complete turbo engine in the car.

nipper

Consider also that your fuel mileage may drop a little and you'll need to use premium fuel or octane booster.

Given the gas prices going up... every little bit adds to the operating costs...:rolleyes:

That's why I got a H6. While premium fuel is recommended, I can run it on regular gas to save money. I've heard of others running thier H6 on regular gas with no problems.

• 2 months later...

Whoops, I forgot that I posted this question.

Thanks very much for everyone's input. We've decided to save up and pay cash for a newer OB with an H6 or turbo.

Everyone's help is appreciated.

Bryan

also, boosting an older high mileage motor that leaks oil is asking for it to blow up. most people who do fully expect the motor to not last too long. if you want more power try just getting a 2.5, if you have one have a full service done, includeing air filter and transmission flush. that should wake it up, and give you a bit more power, and try to trace the leak, if its a valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket it shoulden't be too hard to replace, but if you're blowing the oil past the rings, boosting is the last thing you should do.
Dude. Over on the bbs, Douglas Vincent has been running 50shot nos and twin superchargers on his NA 2.2 block. I don't believe he's done any internal work to it, and it still runs just fine (it's got a lot of miles too).

Dude. Over on the bbs, Douglas Vincent has been running 50shot nos and twin superchargers on his NA 2.2 block. I don't believe he's done any internal work to it, and it still runs just fine (it's got a lot of miles too).

Yes, but that's not an old engine ;) He's replaced engines in that car at least 3 times that I can count... He's reddevil on this board.

The SOHC 2.5L is an overbored, open deck engine. But I say go ahead and turbocharge that puppy. It should provide you with at least several hours of truly exhilarating driving.

HAHAHA your right. And a truly exciting climax when it goes POOF

There was a post here telling how the 2.5 was at it's design limits, but the 2.2 can withstand a turbo. The design limits doesnt mean the engine is weak, just that the bearings etc etc etc is maxed out and cant produce more power then it does already.

nipper

I figure another option we have is to set up a series of large rubber bands at specific points in my commute to work.

The first one would be out of our driveway. Next would be after the railroad tracks turning right. Then about 2 miles later when there is a dotted middle line.

The only problem will be preloading them, and attaching them to a moving car... hmm. any ideas?

Bryan

=)

I figure another option we have is to set up a series of large rubber bands at specific points in my commute to work.

The first one would be out of our driveway. Next would be after the railroad tracks turning right. Then about 2 miles later when there is a dotted middle line.

The only problem will be preloading them, and attaching them to a moving car... hmm. any ideas?

Bryan

=)

no giant Magnets?