Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK... I'm not looking for a rehash of the stuff here... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46240 (which was "you don't NEED chains", "get studs", blah blah blah), but was wondering if anyone has found "just in case" chains for the 225/55 R17 tires that come with the 06 Outbacks?

I live in WA state which actually does require ALL vehicles (yes... even AWD) to carry chains into the mountains, and I have had one occassion long ago, where I momentarily chained up my Legacy.

BUT, I was surprised to read in the owner's manual for our new 06 Outback that chains could not be used due to clearance issues with the wheel well. I'm not interested in getting studs and chewing up the roads just to comply with a law that I might run into 5% of the time I'm up in the mountains, but AM interested in having a set of chains "just in case."

Anyone with personal experience?

-Kurt

I've had 4WD vehicles since the mid-80s (Tercel then Subaru), I've NEVER had to put chains on either of them. Interesting that you had to put them on a Leg, as you stated above.

At the chain control "stop" points, I was occaisionally asked to actually open up and show the chains. By occaisionally I mean maybe once a year, every time in California (they're really anal there). Heck, those chains are the cable type I had for a Celica that I had before I got into 4WDs. Probably wouldn't even fit on my Subaru (certainly not on my Acura:lol: ). Not sure what size they are anymore, the original cardboard box desintegrated years ago:lol: . I've since scrounged up one of those neat plastic carrying cases from my bud who owned a gas station in Tahoe back then, and that box is good enough for any CALTRANS or CHP dude that just HAS to see:rolleyes: , and will last forever.

Sounds like the guy that ordered you to put chains on either wasn't listening when you told him you had AWD, or maybe your tires may not have been suitable for snowy conditions, even with AWD. Either way, I doubt if you'll ever have to put chains on again (but ya gotta have decent tires).

Even if you'll never use them, it's best to be carrying.

My 2 bucks

Sounds like the guy that ordered you to put chains on either wasn't listening when you told him you had AWD, or maybe your tires may not have been suitable for snowy conditions, even with AWD. Either way, I doubt if you'll ever have to put chains on again (but ya gotta have decent tires).

Actually... the only person that told me to put them on was myself, as I was trying to extracate myself from an icy rutted Forest Service road.

Even if you'll never use them, it's best to be carrying.

...and that's the reason I'm posting! Anyone know of anything that will actually fit on these 06 Outbacks and allow me to still turn my wheel?

At the chain control "stop" points, I was occaisionally asked to actually open up and show the chains. By occaisionally I mean maybe once a year, every time in California (they're really anal there).

every time i've been stopped at the checkpoints i told them i had AWD and they let me go....I was driving an ACCORD, they might be anal here but not real bright...

haven't been ask since i got my outback

Carl,

Those bad boys are really out there! But, at nearly 10x the price of an economy set of chains, I don't think I'd go there. :cool: BTW - I've driven my Outback on and offroad thru the nastiest winter weather South Dakota, Colorado and California have to offer, and I've never needed a set of chains. Just a little practice in an icy parking lot every year to remind you how it "feels" to be driving without much friction -- and you're good to go.

I havn't had chains since I used to plow roads with my Jeep for extra money in high school. Those look like a hot set up Carl.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that chains can do major damage to a car's body work if thay come loose. Over the life of the car those things might ot be so expensive after all.

My dad had some chains, they did break and mess up the '68 Impala to some extent.

Our problem is we get ice, invisible ice, and studs or cables or chains,etc. might be nice to have on your car, but really, it might be better to just wait 8-36 hours or so and it will either have melted off by then or your neighborhood street will have been driven on enough that, if you can get out of yuor driveway, it's safe to carefully travel. Of course emergency services and a few others for which travel might be imperative under any conditions should be prepared with some traction-enhancing device. AWD is great to get moving, but on ice, it won't stop much better! Plus, we have these idiots that think their RWD pickups are invicible - I pass then in 'ice storm' weather all the time - they are usually @ss backwards in the ditch! I don't want THEM to hit ME! I try to stay home.

Carl