Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 brat issue

if someone could help me it would be great.my brat was running great for a while, and after running it for like 10-15 mins, when i got to a stop sign or hold the clutch in the idle dropps below normal and the engine dies. we checked the idle and timing, and everything is spot on. any help would be great

Does it start and run, but die if you don;t pump the gas? If so, you probably have some gunk (debris) in the carb that is not allowing a plunger to close. (Wish I had the specific carb part names). Sometimes it can be fixed by blowing it out or even reving the motor, putting a rag over the carb and pulling it off at the last second. It's a pretty easy fix.

Both Turbone and northguy's suggestions are good and likely causes for what you have. But if that doesn't fix it, when's the last time you changed the fuel filter? You have two (sort of)...one is under the car next to the fuel pump (everyone forgets about that one) and you have a fuel separator (looks like a fuel filter) in the engine compartment (driver's side near the firewall). Try that next. Good luck.