Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99' Legacy. After taking out the left front hub in order to replace the bearing, I am putting everything back together. The problem is that the threaded shaft of the ball joint at the tie rod end is turining together with the castle nut that holds it to the hub. This makes it impossible to torque that castle nut to spec. What to do? Does that mean my tie rod end is bad and need replacement?

Need to put the darned thing together tonight to go to work tomorrow.

Alex

Two emergency procedures, depending on the tools you have:

If you have a tie rod end puller, try reversing it to press the tie rod into the knuckle. This will bind the threaded part enough to be able to tighten the castle nut.

If you do not have a puller, or if the puller will not fit in a reverse fashion, tap the back end (oposite the threaded part) to press the threaded part into the knuckle enough to tighten the castle nut.

I call these emergency procedures as neither one is a good thing to do to your tie rod end. If neither of these work, then you have to cut the tie rod end off (cut between the castle nut and the knuckle) with an angle grinder, or use a nut-breaker to remove the castle nut, then replace the tie rod end. How did this happen? Was the castle nut cross threaded? Are the threads of the tie rod end damaged? If it is either of these, then you should replace the tie rod end. Also if your tie rod end boot (the rubber part under the steering arm) is damaged.

Gnuman, thanks for your reply. Your first suggestion was what I tried first, but the puller did not fit in reverse. The nut goes on handily up to the point where the stud just starts showing up over the top of it. I suspect that the lower down on the stud the threads must be slighlty damaged (rusted?). I am planning to get threads restored or cleaned up with a die, while preventing stud's rotation during this procedure with cushioned vicegrips. The nut's threads are OK.

Alex

I haven't yet needed removed the tie rod end on my '99 Outback, so I don't know if this will work on Subarus.

On my non-Subaru cars, I've been successful in using a jack to press up against the bottom of the tie rod end ball joint. Just a bit of pressure - you're not trying to lift the car. This adds some extra pressure in the taper where the ball joint fits into the knuckle, and stops it from turning. Also, make sure that the taper on the ball joint and the knuckle are clean and free of grease or oil. Cleaning the threads, as you mentioned, can only help.

i had this same problem years ago and i did get it to tighten without any crazy effort or tools but can't recall how. off the top of my head i'd run a die over the threads and equally run a tap through the castle nut. if the threads on both are clean and perfect it should glide right on with easy. then as soon as it grabs the hub it'll tighten. be sure to run it a number of times and sort of "push/pull" while turning the die over the threads.

i like the jack idea as well.

I've used the jack for years, but the best thing is an air wrench if you have it.

I ended up using an electric impact for this. But I've had to use a jack as well. The extra pressure from the jack, and the "bang" from an impact usually does it. Not that the bang means torque.....more like it can spin the nut faster than the shaft can turn, so it tightens up....

Good luck,

NV