Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission conversion

Hello to all you retrofits, I'm looking to buy an 88 GL wagon with all wheel drive, auto transmission. The transmission is slipping, only drives in first and second gear. I have an 85, 5spd hi/lo GL wagon. My question is this: Can I use my 5spd in the 88 AWD? Thanks, hope to hear from someone, Ken in Vancouver, WA

Hello to all you retrofits, I'm looking to buy an 88 GL wagon with all wheel drive, auto transmission. The transmission is slipping, only drives in first and second gear. I have an 85, 5spd hi/lo GL wagon. My question is this: Can I use my 5spd in the 88 AWD? Thanks, hope to hear from someone, Ken in Vancouver, WA

well you should really use the search function this board has given us. Helps out a lot for newer members like yourself. It has been covered recently by a few people...

Not many things are more annoying than to come looking for help and be told to use something that has no instructions on how to effectively use it... I worked for 10 years writing and maintaining Search software, and I still haven't figured this one out...

...so...

... Try this link, which is for the aforementioned recent thread on a 4-speed auto to 5-speed manual conversion. (The same User also has several other threads on related topics. Search using "Advanced Search" and search on user name as thread starter.)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55659

Welcome, and good luck!

I second Northwet, that thing they call a "search" function is crap...

Well, I really wouldn't go THAT far. It is just not an easy thing for a newcomer to "hit the ground running" with it. And given our love of TLAs (three-letter-acronyms) and the search engine not searching for 3-letter terms by default, searching can get a little frustrating. I would rather give a newcomer a little slack, and point them in the right direction the first time or two. :)

Not many things are more annoying than to come looking for help and be told to use something that has no instructions on how to effectively use it... I worked for 10 years writing and maintaining Search software, and I still haven't figured this one out...

Amen!

What I don't like (did not happen in this case though) is when people only reply with "use the search function!"

Instead it would be nice for them to:

1) NOT reply at all

2) reply with "use the search function next time, but for now heres a link to a list of resaults"

As for the subject at hand. You can swap the gearboxes, but from my knowlage you will need a few things.

Front axles (as FullTime4WD gearboxes used a different spline size and count on their shafts.)

Throttle, brake, and clutch peddel box.

And another center console (I would think)

There are probably more things you will need. But at this stage I am going to just say, Use the search function! Because I have never owned or converted a Auto to Manual before.

I kinda refuse to own a auto :-\

Cheers, and good luck, Phizinza

http://www.OffroadingSubarus.com

I second Northwet, that thing they call a "search" function is crap. I've been on the Board for almost 2 years, and still aven't figured out the search enought to use it efficiently. So the answer is yes. You can convert.

I agree with HTI.. I wouldnt call it crap, but highly inefficient. Like for me sometimes, when I come home from work just to check the board about a question I have, its easier to start a post about what I'm looking for instead of searching through 100 pages that may or may not have the info that I'm looking for.

BOOZEN:

The 88 AWD is a FT4WD automatic correct? If so the car is turbo'd so its a 3.7 final drive. You'll want to use the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff and the front axles from the 85 D/R 5 speed donor. You will also need the pedal assembly from the 85. There a few other things, I'll post em if I can remember them

People come here for answers. The search function is great if what you're looking for is both specific enough and rare enough that there aren't a million threads that mention the words you're searching for. But if you know the answer, why not just help someone out. I don't mind answering a question 10 times for 10 people if it makes life a little easier for them. The cooperative sharing of knowledge is what makes this a great community. Thanks for being a good example of that, NorthWet.

Welcome to the list Boozen (hope you're not Boozen-n-Drivin' :eek:). Yes, those should be swappable. Will take some work though. This summer I will be swapping my current crappy 3 speed automatic with a 5 speed hi / lo tranny into Murphy, the $500 '87 Turbo Wagon.

PS. The search function is a great tool, but it is better for specific searches. It may not be the best place to start for newbies. And they don't always work as well as you would like. If I type in SVX, I get nothing.