Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 outback starter needs replacement

Replacing a starter is relatively easy, but do you really need a new starter? Describe the problem you're having with it. Maybe we can save you some money!

The past 10 days:

Turn the key and CLICK (just one)

Turn again and CLICK (just one)

then a couple days later

Turn the key and START

I pulled and cleaned off the battery posts. Retightened the connections and it started again.

then a couple days later again

Turn the key and CLICK (just one)

*repeat*

Yesterday and today the car started fine.

????

ps if it matters...146,000 miles and a 2.2 manual transmission

next time it doesn't start try attaching jumper cables from a known good car/battery. attach them to GOOD SOLID grounds and positive cable points (not the suspect battery posts or cables if they are painted, corroded or dirty).

if it starts right up, then you know the starter is fine.

i would bet it's one of the battery connections or cables. is there any corrossion at all, has there ever been? how do the cables/terminals/posts look? can you turn the cables by hand on the batter post? if you can, they are not tight enough and you might need new ends.

this can drastically reduce the life of your alternator and battery if there is a problem here.

otherwise starter replacement is very easy on subaru's. it's a little tight and annoying but the bottom line is that it's 2 bolts to get the starter off then remove the electrical connections. TWO BOLTS!!!!!! that's it. be sure the battery is disconnected when replacing the starer and go to town.

if you still think it's the starter, next time it won't start tap the starter pretty good with a hammer or heavy object a few times. this will dislodge the internal dust that covers the internal contact points and keeps it from turning over. mine wouldn't start and i knew it was the starter, so i did this last summer and it's started every time since then...keep meaning to replace it but i only remember when people post about starters, then i forget by the time i get home.

next time it doesn't start try attaching jumper cables from a known good car/battery. attach them to GOOD SOLID grounds and positive cable points (not the suspect battery posts or cables if they are painted, corroded or dirty).

i would bet it's one of the battery connections or cables. is there any corrossion at all, has there ever been? how do the cables/terminals/posts look? can you turn the cables by hand on the batter post? if you can, they are not tight enough and you might need new ends.

this can drastically reduce the life of your alternator and battery if there is a problem here.

otherwise starter replacement is very easy on subaru's. it's a little tight and annoying but the bottom line is that it's 2 bolts to get the starter off then rmeove the electrical connections. TWO BOLTS (i think they are 14mm)!!!!!! that's it.

if you still think it's the starter, next time it won't start tap the starter pretty good with a hammer or heavy object a few times. this will dislodge the internal dust that covers the internal contact points and keeps it from turning over. mine wouldn't start and i knew it was the starter, so i did this last summer and it's started every time since then...keep meaning to replace it but i only remember when people post about starters, then i forget by the time i get home.

otherwise starter replacement is very easy on subaru's. it's a little tight and annoying but the bottom line is that it's 2 bolts to get the starter off then rmeove the electrical connections. TWO BOLTS (i think they are 14mm)!!!!!! that's it.

There was corrosion (white powdery stuff) but it was only under the bracket holding the battery in place. The battery posts look fine and I did tighten the cable clamps when I cleaned it all up. Ill inspect the cables better when I get home. Could that corrosion be a leak of some sort?

Thanks.

It could also be the starter's solenoid's contacts. Do a search on this board and you'll find lots of info on how to repalce them. A real cheap fix and good for a long time.

If the clic comes from the starter, chances are that it's the solenoid contacts.

and I did tighten the cable clamps when I cleaned it all up.
you tightened it meaning they were originally loose? the clamps over time won't hold tension and need to be replaced, be sure you can not turn them by hand. if you can, that is your problem for sure.

i would think your battery may have a slow vapor loss causing the corrossion. that's what i've been told can cause that anyway.

how about this senario.... you start the car, it starts fine, but when you let go of the key, there's a scratching noise for about.. say.. a second or 2... depending on how cold it is out. It sounds to me like the sring isn't disengaging... or could it be the brushes just being CRAZY... or something.

would this require a starter replacement? or a good swift kick to the box? :rolleyes:

but when you let go of the key, there's a scratching noise for about.. say.. a second or 2
sounds like maybe the solenoid is acting a little funny. i'd clean up solenoid connectors. if that doesn't work i'd look for more advice here while looking to replace the solenoid (or bang with hammer!).

how about this senario.... you start the car, it starts fine, but when you let go of the key, there's a scratching noise for about.. say.. a second or 2... depending on how cold it is out. It sounds to me like the sring isn't disengaging... or could it be the brushes just being CRAZY... or something.

would this require a starter replacement? or a good swift kick to the box? :rolleyes:

Do you ever have this scratching noise while running? I have 1-2 second noise when I start, and then the same noise comes back after car warms up.

Do you ever have this scratching noise while running? I have 1-2 second noise when I start, and then the same noise comes back after car warms up.

only scratches when i turn it on.. i'm gonna try the hammer trick, because i like hitting things with hammers :banana:

My problem gets worse with the temperature... it used to only do it when it was cold out.. but now when it's warmer it's starting to do it more offten... boo!!

I'll have to find my camera, and extract the sound from a video & post that...

I replaced a perfectly good battery (in hindsight:mad: ) because I thought that is why my starter was clicking so weakly. Ended up being the contacts.

Photos of the worn contacts (89,000 miles). $8 worth of copper bits and it started with confidence again!:headbang:

2035802_9.jpg

Worn contact on the left, new on the right:

2035802_8.jpg

To remove the starter is two bolts....super easy, although requires a little flexibility to get to the lower bolt. Can be reached from up top if you can turn the lower bolt that you cannot see but can feel.:clap:

I replaced a perfectly good battery (in hindsight:mad: ) because I thought that is why my starter was clicking so weakly. Ended up being the contacts.

Photos of the worn contacts (89,000 miles). $8 worth of copper bits and it started with confidence again!:headbang:

2035802_9.jpg

Worn contact on the left, new on the right:

2035802_8.jpg

To remove the starter is two bolts....super easy, although requires a little flexibility to get to the lower bolt. Can be reached from up top if you can turn the lower bolt that you cannot see but can feel.:clap:

thanks. i did some searching in previous threads and found those same pics. all the advice has been great.

ONE final question....

Where do I get these contacts? Googling leads me only to parts suppliers selling whole starters. Maybe Im missing a step or not searching properly.

Thanks again. Youve all been a great help.:clap:

Places like Autozone, Pep Boys and Kragen won't have them. You'll have to go to an alternator/starter repair shop. They can be a little difficult to find online since they are usually mom&pop shops.

Here are some possibilities - although I don't know exactly where you are in TN.

http://local.yahoo.com/TN/Memphis/Automotive/Repair+Service/Alternator+Repairs

Just a word to the wise--there are about 3 different configurations of those simple little contacts! If you find a source locally, you'd be smart to remove your old ones and carry them in for comparison. If you can't find them at an auto electric shop, try a Subaru dealer--I got mine online from Jason at 1st Subaru Parts.

Anyway--good luck and ask questions!