Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82C EGR removal

Well I tested the Blocked EGR idea today. Did 100 miles of driving with it blocked. Engine accelerates smoother, runs cooler and gets better gas mileage.

If you have a carb'd EA82 and dont have to pass emission testing, I recomend that you try this mod out. I just used a chunk of an old fender I had layin around, cut to fit, drilled two holes and stuck it between the EGR valve and the intake.

Any feedback on this?

It is a great idea. I did the same thing not for power but to kill an inert heavy chemical that squeezed into the car sometimes. I don't think Subaru knew at higher mileage engines the result of that egr continuing to function. I got outright nautious as well as passengers.

the fix does give a clean power/mileage increase cheaply (nowadays priceless with fuel costs) works on spfi too :)

If you just disconnect the vacuum line, it's the same as blocking it. It will not open so it's basically a big block off plate itself. Plate serves to make it nicer to look at.

If you have the one with the pipe going to the anti-afterburn valve on top, just get an EGR that doesn't have the pipe - such as from an EA81/82 feedback carb model, or an EA82 SPFI model.

GD

Sorry guys, no pics. I used the block off plate to get rid of that anti after burn whatever its called junk.

After more playin around with the car, its UNREAL how much more power and how much smoother it accelerates.

Makes me think what else I can take off my carb'd engine thats not already blocked off or removed.

ASV is blocked, EGR is blocked, Antibackfire is removed, all vac lines are removed, gutted cats and it runs cleaner than any car with the IM crap on it. I'm going to go visit the IM station and see if it will pass with everythign stripped. We have a visual test that you must pass up here, but I'm gonna tell them I just want it as a test because the car is "STRICTLY" offroad..

lol

Damn tree huggin enviro hippies

It is a great idea. I did the same thing not for power but to kill an inert heavy chemical that squeezed into the car sometimes. I don't think Subaru knew at higher mileage engines the result of that egr continuing to function. I got outright nautious as well as passengers.

the fix does give a clean power/mileage increase cheaply (nowadays priceless with fuel costs) works on spfi too :)

So thats what that smell was that I get in my car? I could randomly smell exhaust or a smell from internal combustion. Thought it was the oil leakin on my cat...

If you just disconnect the vacuum line, it's the same as blocking it. It will not open so it's basically a big block off plate itself. Plate serves to make it nicer to look at.

That's true if the EGR valve is working properly. With high mileage, it's not unusual for the valve to leak. Carbon tends to build up on the poppet, and then it doesn't close completely.

Well I tested the Blocked EGR idea today. Did 100 miles of driving with it blocked. Engine accelerates smoother, runs cooler and gets better gas mileage.

If you have a carb'd EA82 and dont have to pass emission testing, I recomend that you try this mod out. I just used a chunk of an old fender I had layin around, cut to fit, drilled two holes and stuck it between the EGR valve and the intake.

Any feedback on this?

yeh, i did all this to my n/a ea82 a while back,egr vacuum off..and the atmosspheric valve on the other side to the intake..im getting 9km / litre..i think that works out to be 35 mile/gallon or more...also with these change,s i was able to get a leaner idle mixture and had to idle the thing down as its efficiency went up noticeably,good stuff:grin: