Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford pumps are famous or infamous for this .Ihave been told that lucas or redline performance atf will lessen the noise.

Well since out P/S systems take Dextron III ATF can we use these products?

It makes noise all the time even when not turning the wheel!

Well since out P/S systems take Dextron III ATF can we use these products?

It makes noise all the time even when not turning the wheel!

There's Mobil 1 synth ATF fluid in mine and it's been there at least three years without any problem. Maybe synth would cure your noise.

I wrote about it before..last year I got the additive from "lubguard.com"..(Napa) and for me it stopped the noise completely...I might get a little noise when the temp drops to minus 20C..

I have tried semi syn. ATF with no luck maybe theis Lugeguard stuff will work!

I have tried semi syn. ATF with no luck maybe theis Lugeguard stuff will work!
it is cheap ..$10..well worth giving it a try..also make sure that there are no small, very small slow moving leaks which could cause air to enter the system at the pump...for example the upper rubber hose with the spring clamps can be poor, even after several short years in use

Well it's my Mom's car and she lives 2 1/2 hours away! Don't get to work on it often!;)

Hey, don't take my comment the wrong way--I think it's great that you posted a follow-up after two years!

Are you convinced that it really is the pump? Reason I ask is that I replaced my PS pump a few years back because of "noise." then a year later I noticed that the drive belt seemed narrower than normal--I think it had the wrong belt when I bought the car. Replaced it with a new belt (5 rib I believe) and things have been great.

At any rate, good luck tracking it down.

it is cheap ..$10..well worth giving it a try..also make sure that there are no small, very small slow moving leaks which could cause air to enter the system at the pump...for example the upper rubber hose with the spring clamps can be poor, even after several short years in use

Should replace with Stainless hose clamps!

Hey, don't take my comment the wrong way--I think it's great that you posted a follow-up after two years!

Are you convinced that it really is the pump? Reason I ask is that I replaced my PS pump a few years back because of "noise." then a year later I noticed that the drive belt seemed narrower than normal--I think it had the wrong belt when I bought the car. Replaced it with a new belt (5 rib I believe) and things have been great.

At any rate, good luck tracking it down.

I will look at this as well? Have part #'s on CORRECT belt???:popcorn:

• 4 weeks later...
I wrote about it before..last year I got the additive from "lubguard.com"..(Napa) and for me it stopped the noise completely...I might get a little noise when the temp drops to minus 20C..

Well it is up to it's old tricks anyone tied the Lucas brand power steering additive stuff?

Well it is up to it's old tricks anyone tied the Lucas brand power steering additive stuff?
the lucas brand contains seal swelling additives ...more designed for leaking units which could be in your case..check for slight leaks at the hose clamps etc which might let in some air into the system which in turn might cause the pump to squeal

the lucas brand contains seal swelling additives ...more designed for leaking units which could be in your case..check for slight leaks at the hose clamps etc which might let in some air into the system which in turn might cause the pump to squeal

Well if it will swell seal I will return it and get the lubeguard stuff.