Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and subarus.Looking forward to buy a car for my father to drive it in Russia.Stopped at models Legacy Outback and Forester.The car will be

2000-2001 80K + miles,stick shift.

The 1st question is which one to pick?(personally I like outback more)but which one is tougher?

2nd question-It looks like they share the same engine-what are the weak spots with the engines at these miles and what to expect from future ownership?Plus what i should look for when buying it used?

Thanks.

00-02 outbacks/foresters with 2.5L may develop external coolant leak via headgasket. You have to add special subaru conditioner to your coolant once in a while to avoid it.

Other problems are minor - do a search and you'll find some wheel bearings etc.

P.S. you are aware of import duty of 5k euro, right?

first: welcome to the group

second: familiarize yourself with the search function, it saves time.

letter c: After reading all sorts of posts on these model year outback and foresters, i believe they have the phase II SOHC 2.5L engine. Might differ if you are in Russia, so check under the hood and ask the seller what it is. The Phase II is refering to the sohc in 2000 - 2004 outbacks and 1999-2002 foresters (someone smarter and not so dumb can correct me) Thus far, we have discovered that they have an external head gasket leak (at least they do in the states) and is cured supposedly by a coolant additive. consult a dealer as this might be different in Russia

letter 4: the Outback is based on the larger Legacy frame, while the Forester is based on the Impreza frame. I personally love my Outback (its a MY97) as it offers some extra head room over the regular Legacy, and still handles well. Its a matter of test driving and figuring which one better suits you. the Outback is larger than the Forester.

number E: either way, they are both excellent. enjoy.

00-02 outbacks/foresters with 2.5L may develop external coolant leak via headgasket. You have to add special subaru conditioner to your coolant once in a while to avoid it.

Other problems are minor - do a search and you'll find some wheel bearings etc.

P.S. you are aware of import duty of 5k euro, right?

Not really,what do you mean?

I'll export the car from USA so all the issues I'm looking for are local.

Headgasket leak...How much is to fix it?How long it'll stay fixed?

I didn't know about 2.2L engine on newer Legacy's I thought 2.2L is from previous model?

P.S.Is there any way to figure out if the gasket been done or not?

Thanks guys.

I'll export the car from USA so all the issues I'm looking for are local.

Headgasket leak...How much is to fix it?How long it'll stay fixed?

I didn't know about 2.2L engine on newer Legacy's I thought 2.2L is from previous model?

P.S.Is there any way to figure out if the gasket been done or not?

Thanks guys.

Carfax will show open recall (WWP-99?) if coolant conditioner was not added. Should be still possible to do it for free in a dealership.

I am not very familiar with recall -but I think coolant conditioner cures the problem completely, and has to be added every time cooling system is flushed, or every 100k miles if not flushed ( which is bad idea anyway). Someone will have to correct me here.

2.2L on legacy stopped in 99, on outback in 96?. You can probably find 97-99 outback with 2.2 engine swapped into.

These older models have been around enough time to figure out major issues, 00+ models - not yet.

Check http://forum.subaru-faq.ru/ for issues arising when subarus are exposed to russian driving conditions/bad fuel/oil.