Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear brembo brakes wont fit on wrx

Otherwise you pretty much need to swap the whole rear end because the diff, axles, hub, e-brake, and backing plate are all different.
OMG, Subaru is becoming FORD. One of the things that I love about Subarus is the interchangeability of parts from one model to another. But this is ridiculous, I would have thought the only he might need was the backing plate since the STi disc might be bigger diameter and therefore need to move the cailper further out. That is the way it is on the GC8 cars.

if you bought the brakes off of a 2005 or 2006 sti, they wont work. period.

those year of sti used a 5x114.5 bolt pattern, whereas the wrx and all of the other soobs used a 5x100 bolt pattern. rotors would have to be redrilled, new brackets fabricated, and would be pretty expensive. just sell what ya bought and buy a big brake kit from brembo or stop tech or someone designed for your wrx and is a complete bolt on.

no need to reinvent the wheel when someone already did it for you....

edit: older generation soobs have a 4x140 bolt pattern. sorry to exclude you guys....

those year of sti used a 5x114.5 bolt pattern, whereas the wrx and all of the other soobs used a 5x100 bolt pattern. edit: older generation soobs have a 4x140 bolt pattern. sorry to exclude you guys....

Well, if you really want to be technical I'm fairly certain that the SVX used the 5 x 114.5 wheels as well.

Also, I would personally say there isn't a big advantage to upgrading the rear brakes over upgrading the fronts, unless you had drums to start. A typical Rally car setup uses Stock WRX Calipers with RS Mounting brackets and RS Sized rotors in the front, and Standard WRX/RS Rear Calipers and rotors. (Rally Cars run 15" wheels) Unless you want to race your car on the track the only advantage you get with the Brembos are the Bling gold. Pads make the biggest difference.

Keith

if you bought the brakes off of a 2005 or 2006 sti, they wont work. period.

those year of sti used a 5x114.5 bolt pattern, whereas the wrx and all of the other soobs used a 5x100 bolt pattern. rotors would have to be redrilled, new brackets fabricated, and would be pretty expensive. just sell what ya bought and buy a big brake kit from brembo or stop tech or someone designed for your wrx and is a complete bolt on.

Well, I'd wager that they're 04's since he got the fronts on. Even then I think he would only need rotors, and that kit I posted would still work.

never said anything about the fronts, so, i dunno, just a possiblity....

gimme a break with the technical schematics and stuff. its different spacing, and depending on precision, it really won't matter. 05-on stis won't convert rims or rotors to wrxs 02-05 at least. bolt pattern on the 06 still 5x100?

yes the 06 wrx and legacy are stil 5x100.

If you used 04 rotors and 05+ calipers there wouldn't be a problem. If he swapped the front brakes without a rotor fitment problem, which I'm assuming since he's only asking about the rears, he most likely has 04 parts. That would definitely be good to know from the op, though.

The front is where the biggest change was from 04-05 on the STi. The bearing and knuckle were beefed up and that's the reason for the new lug pattern (and why front struts aren't interchangeable). All Subaru calipers and brackets are still interchangeable up front (except probably svx). The problem comes with the fancy rear brakes. The Subaru 2-pot still uses an R-160 rear diff and the smaller e-brake so the backing plate is all you need.