Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 OB Legecy, it is a 5speed with 78K miles on it. I was only getting 20MPG when I bought the car. The CarFax Report says I am the 3rd owner of the car, and that it has been to the dealership every 5K miles for check ups.

With gas prices hitting 3.17/gal in Olympia, I am tired of 20MPG. Well I have replaced the airfilter with a K&N, the car seem to run better but MPG were same. Then I replace the spark plugs and the wires, got up to 23MPG. The last thing I have done was replaced the fuel filter. I am up to 25-27MPG.

Not saying this is the only answer its just what has worked for me. Hope this is useful to some others.

The Kid,

Olympia, WA

Subarus tend to be picky about plugs and wires, and like OE the best. Considering how often they gaet changed (maybe three times in the life of the car) it pays to go with OE.

The K and N air filter has higher flow, but allows more dirt in (this has been discussed many times here, and there is a link someplace to the lab report stating as much). The dirt can damage sensative electronics downstream from the air filter (especially if the filter is oiled).

It takes at least 3 tanks of gas from the same station to determine if you get better mileage. In my 97 OBW auto i can get from 17-23 around town just purely with my right foot.

i could probabaly use a new set of wires at 185K (car coughs once in a while in gear stoped).

Things that can influence mpg. tire air pressure, air filter, junk in the trunk and your right foot.

Always good to hear somone has squeezed a few more miles out of a tank of dead dinos.

I use Bosh platinum (single electrode) when they are on sale, with good results. In 70%-30% highway/city driving I get 30-31 MPG with 99' 2.2L manual. I bought this car three years ago with 127K miles, not it has 190K miles. I use synthetic oil. Everything else is original. I must say I drive like a grandma (60-65MPH) to save gas. When I drove at 70-75 the car made 27-28 MPG. The tires (still the same ones that came with the car) are Toyo Proxes, 195/60/15. Still have a lot of tread left, just getting a bit dried out. So the tire brand (I mean rolling resistance), not only inflation pressure may play a role too.

My car has always be serviced my the dealer untill I bought it. I pulled a plug 1st to see if I could find them else where, dont want to pay the darn dealer price. The brand name of the plugs are "ngk". They are $2 each at Shucks. The wires I got from Subaru. I replace my plugs in my cars every year. Its cheep insurance, just like on my boat. :grin:

I am running OEM tires and wheels, and maintain 40PSI seems to be working for me?

The K&N filter seems to make a difference. Throttle responce is better, and the intake tone is deeper. The milage increase I can't really attest too though.

I try to keep it under 3000 when accelerating. Not was much fun as say 6000, but either is paying for the gas, or the ticket.

Also, watch your speed. I find I can get almost 30 on the highway, as long as I don't go much over 75-80mph.

I run ngk platinum plugs. I had just installed a set of Bosch +4s when the head gaskets failed, so I don't know if they would better. The dealer put NGKs in and they have been fine for 80,000 miles. I might look at the Bosch ones again, since the dealer want $16 a piece for the NGKs. I have concerns about switching brands thought. My Honda CB750 calls for NGKs and fouls cheaper plugs very quickly, so I am bit nervous about what the Sub might do.

I have had good luck with Magnecor wires. The US factory is close to my house, so I was able to get a set for $100 when I picked them up. They are made very well. They only minor problem is the larger wire diameter does not fit perfectly in the factory wire holders.

Be careful with Bosch plug wires. The boots come off and you have to pull them off the plugs with long needle nose pliers. That was a fun day

Rob

In my experience, Bosch plugs have run great on all my domestic cars (Running +2s in my Ford truck), but they cause problems on several imports. I had bad luck with them in my Legacy. Now all I run are NGK V-Power copper plugs. They're $8 for a set and changing them is easy. Supposedly copper allows for a slightly better spark although it brings decreased longevity over platinum. In fact, platinum's only real advantage is that the electrodes last ~3x as long. Copper is better, IMHO.

I had stumbling and misses after installing Bosch plugs in my 2.5, checked wires, all fine, installed NGKs and runs smoother than ever. I'm running OE wires and they're great. With an upgraded ignition system I could see the need for bigger wires but with a stock one OEM is fine.

Just my 2 cents=)

Aaron

EDIT: OE is NGK plats on 2.5s, not sure on the 2.2...