Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slight Burning Smell Through Dash Vent On New Baha

Hi Folks,

I bought a Subaru Baha a month ago, and when I stop after going up a hill or occassionally when stopped in traffic, I smell a waft of something burning, like a fan belt.

I've taken it to the dealer for them to smell, and they said it was the protective coating from the factory burning off the engine, and didn't appear to be any of the (visible) belts.

Have any of you experienced something similar with your car, and what was it that was producing this slight waft of something burning.

BTW, I've also lately noticed quite a lot of water dripping through the air conditioner condensation tube. Not sure if this would be connected to the above, and would appreciate knowing if this is common as well. When I noticed the puddle beneath my car, my air conditioner was previously turned off.

Thanks much,

David

I'm assuming that you'd bought it brand new. When I bought my Forester back in '03, I went through the same thing. Mine was even worse, it smelled like rotten egg, although not that strong. As it turned out it was the catalytic converters going through the break in period. It lasted for about 3-4 months before going away. By any chance yours is 100% parts and assembly in Japan?

And it's okay for the A/C to drip that much water. And it's also okay for it to keep leaking way after you'v shut off the A/C and/or motor.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the board. You're gonna love the Baja :banana:

If its a manual trans..... I would suspect clutch is what youre smelling.

My '03 makes a burnt smell from time to time also....and is most definitely clutch (when I've been romping on it) :grin: I also get the occasional whif here and there when Ive just been doing regular driving. Hate the smell..... but Im afraid that its normal.:-\

:headbang: Yeah, I had the same smell from my '06 Baja Turbo for quite a while. Especially when driving in the mountains. I would get out of my rig and ''go what the heck is that smell?" Smelled like hot engine or tranny. Seems to be going away now that I have 5k on her. Like the other guys said I don't think it's anything to worry about. Good luck and enjoy your Baja, I sure have enjoyed mine!

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout: