Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hope someone can anwser this question.?

i noticed that on the pass side of the trans were the axle attaches to the trans,i noticed it looks like a seal is leaking.(along with the smell of gear lube)

my question is-has anyone ever replaced these seals and how hard is it?

please tell me that the trans doesn't have to come out :confused:

any help would be appreciated,thanks :)

that axle just kinda....fell out (of the transaxle)

of all the things that has happened to me,i can say that having a axle fall out isn't one of them...

But i can say that i've finally broken a clutch cable.happened about a half hour ago.i was right in the middle of an intersection too..

made it home by starting in 1st gear and drive slow..(only to find out when i got home that i could of put her into 2nd gear)

*now i get to replace a clutch cable*

The seal inserts into the bearing retainer (the round thing with ribs) from the inside. There's also an O-ring between the retainer and the case that should be replaced at the same time. The retainer is threaded into the case and has to be put back on in the same position. It's not difficult but proper documentation needs to be consulted before proceeding. I bought the seal and the ring when an inner axle boot broke, but didn't install because decided to replace the boot without removing the axle.

The seal inserts into the bearing retainer (the round thing with ribs) from the inside. There's also an O-ring between the retainer and the case that should be replaced at the same time. The retainer is threaded into the case and has to be put back on in the same position. It's not difficult but proper documentation needs to be consulted before proceeding. I bought the seal and the ring when an inner axle boot broke, but didn't install because decided to replace the boot without removing the axle.

i'll have to mention it to my mechanic friend an see if he can help me out with it...

(i'll ask him today when he helps me out with my clutch cable)

BTW-thanks to all the replys..

never done it but looked into it before and was told this retainer is critical to be set properly. read up and research a bit before getting to deep into this one. there aren't many parts in the way and it can be done in the car, but be sure it's done absolutely correctly. i believe i was told the front diff is affected by how it's set (forget all the technical reasons/terms). someone with an FSM should be able to help.

the rear pinion seal needs to be torqued to 'existing' inch pounds. which means you have to measure the torque before dismantling it. is the front diff axel seal similar?>

never done it but looked into it before and was told this retainer is critical to be set properly. read up and research a bit before getting to deep into this one. there aren't many parts in the way and it can be done in the car, but be sure it's done absolutely correctly. i believe i was told the front diff is affected by how it's set (forget all the technical reasons/terms). someone with an FSM should be able to help.

I just took one apart on a transmission that I removed from a 98 Legacy. If you want to do it clean it good, and mark with paint marker the coverplate and trans. body. You will have to take one bolt out and then turn the cover plate to the left. It is threaded deeper then you would think. This cover cap has the big O- ring that needs to be replaced, and then the seal is very easy to replace. I think the seal came out with cap as stated in the other post. I seen no reason to be over concerned with the torque of the cover plate I think if you screw it all of the way back in and match your marks you ought to be fine. There was no pressure on the axle stub from this seal or cover that I could tell. The reason I checked this out is I have a 97 Legacy wagon that needs them replaced, so I done the practice on a transmission that was already shot.

i noticed that on the pass side of the trans were the axle attaches to the trans,i noticed it looks like a seal is leaking.(along with the smell of gear lube)

my question is-has anyone ever replaced these seals and how hard is it?

please tell me that the trans doesn't have to come out :confused:

any help would be appreciated,thanks :)

On some vehicles the seal retainers set the play on the ring and pinion. This is not really by inch lbs but by gear pattern. On this type if you carefully mark where it is currently and the exact number of turns to get there if the spin type you are fine. With the shim type you just put the same shims back in that were there in the first place.