Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all! New to the board obviously. Just bought a white 2006 WRX TR. Brand spanking new.

And already a question/concern.....

Shortly after driving away from the dealership I noticed the car slightly shudders when sitting at a stop light (for example) at idle. In neutral - just idling - no clutch depressed.

About a 3-5 second delay between shudders. The car doesn`t visibly shake but I can certainly feel this shudder.

I also FEEL that the acceleration SEEMS jumpy right after shifting into 1, 2 or 3 and accelerating - but this could me learning the feel of the new clutch, car and turbo.

I didn`t notice this when test driving.

So, after I bought the car I told the slime balls to fill it up with gas before I drove away. The slime ball took it down the street, filled her up and returned.

Did the slime ball put crappy gas in her?? Is this an indication of a more serious problem? All new WRXs do this?

I had just got done having a 10 minute conversation with the slime ball about what gas to use.

Anyway..any input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to contributing to your board.

It's possible you got some crappy gas. You could dump some octane booster in for that tank, and from here on out make sure to run premium gas.

Other thing you could do is ask to drive another new one around for a test drive and see if you notice the same thing, or whether the issues are isolated to your car.

Resetting the ECU may also be something you may want to do to clear any previous drive cylces with oddities.

Both of my WRXs had noticible engine vibration, the flat four is not a smooth idling motor. These were both the 2.0 turbo though, and yours is the 2.5 liter.

I have no experience with that engine, but what you're describing sounds pretty normal.

Bad gas could definitely be causing an increase in poor idling though.

Thanks for the replies!

I just filled her up with premium last night but haven`t had a chance to work in the new fuel yet.

I think my next step will be going to the dealership and test drive a diff WRX to check it out.

I`ll post my findings.

Odds are good they put chitty gas in.

When I bought my STi 3 years ago they told me they did me a favor and put 93 in it. I kindly got out the owners manual and turned to the page that showed them the car required 93. They had no clue. Fortunatley I was the first one taking delivery of an STi at this dealership. From there on out I'm sure things were done correctly.

Keith

I have the same engine/drivetrain in my 2006 Forester XT.

Slightly lumpy idle is normal. You can feel and sense it, but the car doesn't shake.

The hydraulic clutch takes getting used to..

I run Euro Octane 95...don't know what that translates into Stateside, but "premium" is required :burnout:

I'm having the same problem with a new '06 Impreza wagon (automatic though). I can feel the vibrations at three different times... 1) Car in Park and engine on, 2) Idle, foot on brake, car in Drive, and 3) Any time I quickly accelerate and the RPM's are anywhere from about 1000 to 4000. I just took it in to the dealership for service, but they came up with nothing. You can feel the vibration better/hear the rumbling noise louder from the driver's seat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I could give to the service technician? So far the gist I'm getting from posts about this topic seem to be that its an inherent problem with Subaru's.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mine ('06 WRX wagon) is as setright described. I've never noticed any 3-5 second or other cyclic period to it.

Acceleration seems 'smooth' though that is kinda relative since the torque comes on so friggin strong starting about 3k then tapers off dramatically after about 4k - weird kinda peak, but still 'smooth' I guess.

The wife's H6 OBW is glass smooth at idle - I just assumed the H4 (these are my first soobs) was a little 'lumpy' at idle.

I dunno

Carl

Slightly lumpy idle is normal. You can feel and sense it, but the car doesn't shake.

Slightly lumpy idle....another good way to describe this shudder.

jls563 - is this your first Scooby also?

I am gonna try and get to the dealership this weekend and test drive another WRX.

I have driven ~50 miles on my new full tank of premium gas and so far no change.

I have no problem with the Scooby if this is normal - just trying to set my mind at ease that I didn`t get a clunker from the start.

Will keep you guys updated on my findings....or lack thereof. :)

Slightly lumpy idle....another good way to describe this shudder.

jls563 - is this your first Scooby also?

I am gonna try and get to the dealership this weekend and test drive another WRX.

I have driven ~50 miles on my new full tank of premium gas and so far no change.

I have no problem with the Scooby if this is normal - just trying to set my mind at ease that I didn`t get a clunker from the start.

Will keep you guys updated on my findings....or lack thereof. :)

OBTW - we want pics of your new ride!

Carl

The white wheels look good

Here's the latest pics I have of mine. Waxed it a 2 weekends ago.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/zymol2/

sorry for the thread hi-jack......

dang! looks brand new!

I doubt my car will look that clean in even 5 years. I already got a door ding from a friggin 'vette while I was at the track (parked)

Carl

dang! looks brand new!

I doubt my car will look that clean in even 5 years. I already got a door ding from a friggin 'vette while I was at the track (parked)

Carl

There's a guy that does amazing dent removal down here. I had him do my car a few months ago....then about 3 weeks ago so asshat at the airport put a huge ding and gouge on my rear driver's side door. I had the ding removed, but the paint is still buggered. Freakin people need to be slapped around!!

There's a guy that does amazing dent removal down here. I had him do my car a few months ago....then about 3 weeks ago so asshat at the airport put a huge ding and gouge on my rear driver's side door. I had the ding removed, but the paint is still buggered. Freakin people need to be slapped around!!

Yep, had the dent removed at the dealership for $60 but the paint is 'smudged' off.

Oh well, one or two more dents I'll probably give up completely and start rallyX!!!

lol!

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Went to the dealership and drove a new WRX with only 15 miles and the owners personnal Subaru Legacy.

They both have the shudder. Apparently this is normal for Subarus. The owner claimed he had never noticed any shudder but now that I pointed it out he was gonna go nuts everytime he drove his car. Good I hope he does.

I`m guessing most owners just don`t notice this or they are used to it so they don`t understand an idle shudder?

I have driven only (mostly) Toyotas since I was 16 and the idle was always baby skin smooth....so my sudden switch to a Sooby must have sent my senses into a frenzy.

Anyway...I have pics and will post them....next week :cool:

Just have been very busy.

Toyotas do make silky-smooth engines, that not only run smoother, but quieter than Subaru engines.

Don't forget, Subaru still has the same scrappy, rough-n-tough, bare-bones origins of the old Leone series. Durability, not refinement, is their #1 priority :)