Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Impreza L, 85,000 miles.

Carfax didn't turn up any issues.

NADA places the car at $3500-$4000 for my location.

Ebay of similar car is about $3000, but 1000 miles away from my location, probably not an apples to apples comparison.

Dealer wants $6000.

$6000 seems on the high end for a 10 year old car, am I uninformed?

thats too much.....however that would be a great car to nag...too bad u found it at a dealership and not at some old lady's yardsale

i'd move on....it's gonna take awhile but you'll find what your looking for...took me six months untill i found my 96 2.2 awd 5-speed L 193k for only 800 bucks....car runs like a champ got it from the orignial owner who was a woman and baby'd it

honestly it was a gift from god or whoever else you would like to worship these days

they put it in the newspaper as a type-o saying it was a 2.5 (so i figured bad head gasket)they were unaware of the engine size at the time....so for a whole week i ignored the add....but then i called back and found out it was a 2.2 but someone was coming to look at it haha etc. etc. its a long story n i could go on forever

lets just say after i talked with the nice couple....i left work with a 1000 bucks that i borrowed from my boss and drove 1 1/2 hours away the next day.

I think he's talking about this car

Well, from my experience from about a year ago when I started searching for a Subaru awd wagon with a stick shift, milage around 100k and 2.2 engine - those are very rare in MN. For 5k I would have bought this one, if there are maintanance records and major stuff done recently (like belts/clutch). So go, look it over and bargain.

I think he's talking about this car

Well, from my experience from about a year ago when I started searching for a Subaru awd wagon with a stick shift, milage around 100k and 2.2 engine - those are very rare in MN. For 5k I would have bought this one, if there are maintanance records and major stuff done recently (like belts/clutch). So go, look it over and bargain.

my problem was all i could find in pa that had the 2.2 awd 5-speed were wagons

6,000 is worth it...if you've been searching forever for that exact car with only them kind of miles....however if your just looking for a fun subaru...with reliability aside for one second you could find an rs for that price...not saying i would rather have an rs over my car

but from a different viewpoint

sounds like this has the 2.2 in it? if it's a 2.5 i'd definitely ignore it.

but if it is the 2.2 that's a great motor. can't really go wrong getting one of those in good condition with low miles.

agreed on the dealership - worst place to buy a car from. they go to auctions, buy a used car sight unseen for $800 and sell it for $4000. just go buy it from the people selling it and cut out the fat of the dealers. you can only win, it's cheaper and you can learn more about the car. look for responsible people and service records....good signs that you're getting a good car. i look far away....find the one i want at a great price and fly to go pick it up and drive it home. but if you don't mind the price tag and it's the car you want, talk them down and get the best price you can and get. don't expect them to give you their best price the first 30 minutes or even first day of visiting. they pay pennies on these cars and have huge profits in them, they will budge. they will hold out for a sucker before selling it cheaper.

as an example. i'm currently looking for a friend, so this was easy...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/164829031.html

this one has more mileage, but i'd rather get the good deal and spend another couple hundred on new timing belt, water pump, timing pulleys and have a bullet proof motor for under $3,000. these things soar past 200,000 miles without blinking.