Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing!!! Bad Timing!!!!

ok folks, i have a 90 loyale automatic 4wd. i had a leak out of the flange on the header...which melting the timing belt case cover...and then also proceeded to melt the ************ out of the bushings on the insides of the gears and the tensioner that is right next to it. they are located behind the water pump pully. i believe it's the idle speed gear. but not sure. the engine is still good. i didn't mess anything up besides that gear and the pully. so now what i need to know is should i sell her or should i try to fix her and what is my best bet on parts? she was due for inspection and registration today but for the past two days i've been up to by armpits in grease and it doesn't look like i'll fix it anytime soon. if anyone can give me help on this i would appreciate it because my stepdad and i are going to need all the help we can get. if anyone is interested in buying it it needs to be towed but it is still fixable and driveable. the exhaust up to the two headers is completly new, it has two new axles, the starter is a year old and the alternator is a year old. about 200 k miles.

I think you are refering to the timing belt tensioner and idler on the drivers side? If so, you can replace both of those easily and cheaply.... timing belt covers should go in the trash can anyway - most people here don't replace them.

GD

it's pretty bad in there. i've been looking for replacement parts with no avail, so my poor little baby is getting the hatchett and i'm going to part her out. sob sob. i'm not looking forward to next winter when i need t shovel my snow and my parking space out. or when i can't just drive over curbs and not do any damage to anything. this is going to suck. granted, my mom bought me this car for only 400 bucks, i've been putting allot of work into it since then. at least a grand, easy. i wish that the magic subaru fairy would come and wave a magic wand and fix it!

it's pretty bad in there. i've been looking for replacement parts with no avail, so my poor little baby is getting the hatchett and i'm going to part her out. sob sob. i'm not looking forward to next winter when i need t shovel my snow and my parking space out. or when i can't just drive over curbs and not do any damage to anything. this is going to suck. granted, my mom bought me this car for only 400 bucks, i've been putting allot of work into it since then. at least a grand, easy. i wish that the magic subaru fairy would come and wave a magic wand and fix it!

been having troubling finding replacement belts, tensioners, and idler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-1994-Subaru-1-8-GL-DL-Loyale-Timing-Belt-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQitemZ8071408764QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Would be a shame to part a car out over that...

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
been having troubling finding replacement belts, tensioners, and idler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-1994-Subaru-1-8-GL-DL-Loyale-Timing-Belt-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQitemZ8071408764QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Would be a shame to part a car out over that...

good luck

can you give me some pointers on fixing this??? my haynes book is useless in this situation. i'm going to try to do this on this coming weekend. if the guy still has the parts....i hope i can fix her. she's my most favourite thing in the whole wide world!!!!!!

6 months ago, i didn't know jack squat about cars. i replaced a clutch, resealed, 4 new shocks struts, swaybars, new timing belts, and replaced both front axles and bearings in my car and I had no idea what I was doing, lol. I rolled it outside, FINALLY, yesterday and I just need to put the intake manifold on the engine and put it back in the car and I can finally enjoy all those things that make a Subaru a Subaru. like running over Hondas and stuff, lol.

Here's a great resource that apparently isn't very well known. Go to your library and ask if they subscribe to Mitchell On Demand. This is a database that will give you the procedures to do just about anything you want to try, for just about any vehicle you can name.

If you print out anything there's usually a charge on a per page basis, but most libraries will let you access it there in the library for free.

Here's a great resource that apparently isn't very well known. Go to your library and ask if they subscribe to Mitchell On Demand. This is a database that will give you the procedures to do just about anything you want to try, for just about any vehicle you can name.

If you print out anything there's usually a charge on a per page basis, but most libraries will let you access it there in the library for free.

THe Libraries around here will let you access it from home all you need to long in is your library card.

Lost drivers side belt today!! Thanks to not having covers on i was down the road in 45 minutes and 2 state cops asking if we needed help. Just so happenes I carry a spare belt on my spare tire for quick change. Fix it! Subes r great to learn how to fix cars. If you search on this forum you will find detailed instructions on how to get it back on the road.

:headbang: