Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rough idle! Help!

So I have a 92 loyale wagon that I love to death! 377k miles and still going strong! I just fixed everything on it and she is still running like a champ! Had to fix the AC and a vacuum leak that was not allowing my 4WD or defrost or anything to work but now that everything works sometimes when I come to a light it will idle very rough from about 500-1000 jump pretty fast! Very annoying sometimes! Any ideas as to what that could be and how to fix it? Any advice or help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Erik,

does this happen when the air is on??? or off

if it is while the air is turned on, it could be your idle up solinoid at the rear of the throttle body,or the passenger side of the carb if it is carby...this is simply an adjustment of the screw below it ..(or the screw at the rear of the idle up vacuum diaprham if carbed)

this screw detirmines what rpm to idle at when the solinoid is on..

when it is off..your idle returns to normal setting ...

if not i would be looking for a loose vacuum line..check them all youll find it soon enough if there is one..cheers

Another Question:

How is the Oil Pressure at Idle? if it is too low -near zero- I think it`s time to reseal or -better- change the oil pump... I strongly suggest it specially if it is the original one, with those 377K miles and still workin` is a Miracle! If it`s the original one... I know that can be a "Part" of the Problem...

Also I suggest you to Check the vacuum lines... and change any damaged / worn hoses...

Good Luck! :)

maybe a vaccum leak somewhere, I was idling ruff then I pluseg this tiny hose in that wasnt pluged in all the way and whalla it was fixed.... Might be a distributor my buddys idle jumps around cuz the bearing on his dist was going out, and it jumping all over

Well I just replaced all the vacume lines. Before that nothin worked and it idled very low and like crap especially when it was cold thats all better now! Now it idles fine when cold and every now and then when hot. I have no idea what my oil pressure is like the gauge broke about 200k ago lol! I know the oil pump as well as most everything on the car is all original! I bought the car from my great aunt and she didnt even change the oil! lol Its a fule injected car so no carb adjustments.... Do you think sea foam could really help that out much? it does it i think mostly when the ac is off it has not been warm enough around here to use the ac for some time now. I'll have to try it out. But i know it does it when the ac is off.... I know i played with the sensor thingy on top of the ac compressor when i changed my belts and timing belts could that have anything to do with it? I'll go look over my vacume lines to be sure but any other advice would be GREAT! Thanks!

Do you know what it takes to fix it? its annoying i just want to fix it... lol

My 92 has same type of problem took it to the mechanic it has code 34-35 which is purge control (emission garbage) I have not fixed mind yet I just run it.