Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.6l pistons into 1.8

Ok, i searched the best i could, i am wanting to put 1600 pistons into my EA-81 1.8.

First off, are the rings the same?

second, any special tools needed?

Third, any precutions i have to watch for.

~CHIM~

Rings are not the same.

You'll need to make or buy a tool to remove the wrist pins, and you'll need a 14mm external hex socket to get the plugs out of the block.

If you want higher comp. get EA82 SPFI pistons. The EA71 pistons are not very much taller - maybe 10 thousandths. They also have a lot weaker ring lands.

GD

ok, another dumb question, how do i keep the rods in place while i put the wrist pins in place?

You don't - you will have to rotate the crank to remove each wrist pin. You'll pretty much have to split the block to do the job - it's very difficult to remove the piston from it's bore without splitting the block.

Am i gonna have any clearance issues with the spfi EA-82 pistons?

~CHIM~

No - bore/stroke are the same, as is displacement. The SPFI pistons have dish marks for the valves, and the EA81 has a gear driven cam so there is no possibility of a valve strike. SPFI is 9.5:1 stock, so don't mill much off the heads or you'll have to run premium fuel.

GD

You don't - you will have to rotate the crank to remove each wrist pin. You'll pretty much have to split the block to do the job - it's very difficult to remove the piston from it's bore without splitting the block.

No - bore/stroke are the same, as is displacement. The SPFI pistons have dish marks for the valves, and the EA81 has a gear driven cam so there is no possibility of a valve strike. SPFI is 9.5:1 stock, so don't mill much off the heads or you'll have to run premium fuel.

GD

I pulled the #1 piston with ease acculy, but in the vent that i down't end up changing pistons, how would i go about putting it back without spliting the block?

I pulled the #1 piston with ease acculy, but in the vent that i down't end up changing pistons, how would i go about putting it back without spliting the block?

Turn the engine on it's side and be real careful and slow about how you do it. With enough time and patience it should find it's way in there. I generally split the block and use a bent coat hanger with a hook on it to hold the wrist pin up - but I don't pull pistons unless I intend to split the block.

GD

ive done a few piston swaps without splitting the block. getting em out is easy. getting em back in requires lots of patience and a piece of welding wire to lift the conrod up through the piston pin hole. grinding a small chamfer onto the piston pin also helps.