Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was steered here by the members of the Yahoo subaru tech. Thanks

we have a 1996 w/ a 2.5 dual cam , we replaced the head gaskets after having the heads shaved and the valves faced and laped.

new battery new timing belt stringently following all directions for instalation replaced the cam angle sensor Pulley replaced all gaskets on the intake egr throttle body injectors so on so on now that everything is together the car will not start !!! no codes no nothing I pinched off fuel supply and it sort of makes an attempt but never a real sign of running .

I have tested every thing the book gives a test for just shy of buying a o- scope and I cannot figure out what the problem is I will romance any Ideas this is getting fubar!!

Byron

I cracked open the injector rail after attempts to start and there is plenty of pressure there is also a good flow from the return line from the fuel pressure regulator .

could the regulator be bad ?? the book says while running pinch off the return line to see if it affects the running of the motor I would just like it to run so I can try that test !

check the 3 basics.

1. air

2. fuel

3. spark

let us know what you have/don't have

I hope I have air if there is a shop rag in the intake I.m going to be upset

good pressure at the filter and fuel in the injector rails

non dist. spark checker got spark just ask my girl friend I told her to put the tool down

I cracked open the injector rail after attempts to start and there is plenty of pressure there is also a good flow from the return line from the fuel pressure regulator .

could the regulator be bad ?? the book says while running pinch off the return line to see if it affects the running of the motor I would just like it to run so I can try that test !

Seems like it would be more likely to stick closed than open - but I suppose it's possible. Have you checked for a wet cylinder? Is it possible an injector is stuck open? Did you get high flow injectors or something?(often a stock pump can't keep up.)

I dunno - hope someone else will join us, I'm quickly getting out of my comfort zone! lol!

Carl

you have fuel pressure, but do you have fuel injectors firing. There are three things that keep a sooby from running (sounds like a broken record) cam position sensor, crank sensor, and temp sensor. The crank sensor determines spark. Do you have spark at the plugs? i bet you dont.

nipper

you have fuel pressure, but do you have fuel injectors firing. There are three things that keep a sooby from running (sounds like a broken record) cam position sensor, crank sensor, and temp sensor. The crank sensor determines spark. Do you have spark at the plugs? i bet you dont.

nipper

I have spark I check with coil only spark tool

I have spark I check with coil only spark tool

ok i dont like you anymore.:grin: what is a coil only spark tool? i just do it the old fashined way and use a spark plug. you need a strong blue spark.

Take a test light to a FI and see if it flashes time to double check the timing marks

nipper

timing can be really tricky on the multi cam engines, it will bite you every time.

nipper

that is one of my quanderies out of all of you you all say the same thing the mark should be straight up and the key way should be straight down BUT I'm telling ya's with the #1 piston at TDC my key way is at the 3 oclock position and my mark on the timing belt pulley on the crank shaft is pointing rite at the notch in the block 12 o clock could this only 1996 because I have read about the 1997 and the did a lot of mods to the motor :-\ :confused:

ok i dont like you anymore.:grin: what is a coil only spark tool? i just do it the old fashined way and use a spark plug. you need a strong blue spark.

Take a test light to a FI and see if it flashes time to double check the timing marks

nipper

sorry It is a in line spark checking tool for distribtor less engins you do not have to remove the spark plug and you will not accidentaly hit a sensor with stry voltage ZAP POW ZAM 50 bucks

nipper

so have you ever heard of a noid for checking the injectors ?? it also was in the repair manule LOL they just want me to buy all fo these crazy tools off of the snap on truck

sorry It is a in line spark checking tool for distribtor less engins you do not have to remove the spark plug and you will not accidentaly hit a sensor with stry voltage ZAP POW ZAM 50 bucks

i miss the old ways of testing it. have your best freind hold the ignition wire and plug, if he did it wrong you would hear OW OW OW OW OW

then you knew you had spark, god metal body parts were fun :grin:

nipper

PS Subaru is not known for making oddball engines in a production run, sounds like the timing is not right.

so have you ever heard of a noid for checking the injectors ?? it also was in the repair manule LOL they just want me to buy all fo these crazy tools off of the snap on truck

you can here them click (subaru injectors are loud). You can also use a test lamp on the connector and it shold flash.

We need to merge the two "my car wont run after a timing belt" threads into one, im getting dizzy :clap:

nipper

i miss the old ways of testing it. have your best freind hold the ignition wire and plug, if he did it wrong you would hear OW OW OW OW OW

then you knew you had spark, god metal body parts were fun :grin:

nipper

PS Subaru is not known for making oddball engines in a production run, sounds like the timing is not right.

OK I belive you about the crank but I still stand on the fact that I will have to turn the crank 90 degrees to put the keyway at the 6 position and the piston will be on its down stroke I have checked over and over and over with the heads off I used a dial indicator to find absolut TDC and the keyway was at 3

unless the crank is broken????????

:brow: