Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bike rack for outback, help needed!

I have a 99 legacy outback that I would like to put a bike rack on to haul my dirtbike.

the hitch I would put on is a class 2 with a 3000/300tongue weight limit with a 1 1/4 receiver. The rack requires a class 3, 2 by 2 in reciever, so I could simply get an adapter.

I checked the owners manual and the tongue weight limit for my car is 165 pounds and my bike weighs around 190-195 pounds. A guy at work mentioned that if i used tie downs attached to each corner of the rack and tied those to the roof rack, it would significantly reduce the load on the rack.

Would this be safe? If not are there any other options other than a trailer?

Thanks,

Will

EDIT - sorry, i didn't see that you're actually using a bike rack for a dirt bike. i thought you were talking about a trailer.

it'll carry fine. the more you plan on doing this, the more i'd want to have quality parts and have the bike be as light as possible.

if you're using a trailer, the tongue weight should still be fairly light, it won't be the entire weight of your dirtbike. the wheels of the trailer will carry the majority of the weight. tongue weight is the weight that is transferred to the tongue of the trailer, not the entire weight of the trailer+bike. most of the weight actually is held by the wheels/axle of the trailer depending on it's design and how you load it. load the bike as close to the center of the axle as you can get it and strap it down there, that will positively put almost the entire weight of the bike on the axle and not the tongue.

i know guys towing motorcycles on their old school subaru's with no issues, so i wouldn't even think about it if i were you. i have a hitch to install on mine and i'd definitely tow what you're talking about.

Thats great news! Still think it would be smart to try to tie part of it to the roof rack-taking a little load off the hitch? Also since the reciever is a class 2 and i need an adapter for it to fit the rack, would I have to worry about the weight of the bike stripping apart the hitch?

Basically anything I should worry about or keep in mind?

i'd read the packaging of the adapter you plan on using, it should state the capacity. i personally would not tie it down, but that's just me. or tie it "up" i should say. i guess it would take off a few pounds, but i don't think it would matter. i don't think at 180 it's fine and at 205 it fails. there's surely a huge safety margin implied if they say 200 pounds.

I've had WELL over 200 lbs on my hitch before (read 24" sailboat)

i wouldn't worry too much about it, if you want.. just use some rachet straps, they'll be able to give you a little more nut than trying to tie to... or use a truckers hitch ;)

Just remember a few things... the roof racks arn't ment for that sort of force really (down & back), and when you hit bumps, there is alot more force going to be on the back that usual... but whatever, factors of saftey are there for a reason... keeping people who push the limits alive :brow:

I am looking at a channel type rack, but as those weigh around 40 pounds, I think it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. What I am thinking about doing now is getting a cargo carrier, take the front and rear wheels off.

heres a link to what I am thinking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41884

more conventional dirt bike carrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dirt-Bike-Motorcycle-Carrier-Trailer-Hauler-Hitch-Rack_W0QQitemZ4647856653QQcategoryZ34284QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I really appreciate the help, thanks!

-will

alright here is all the specs... to check.

-Class 2 hitch is rated to 3000 trailer capacity/300 pound tongue weight

-car specs are 2000 with trailer brakes, 1000 without/200 tongue weight

-Rack weighs around 25 pounds, rated to 400 pounds and for class 3 hitches.

-1 1/4'' to 2'' adapter has 3500 pound carrying capacity haha.

-bike weighs 192 and i plan to take the wheels off when transporting. (easier to strap down and less weight on the hitch)

so I'm guessing I "should" be fine?

-will