Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 legacy cruise control malfunction.

Looks like your fingers slipped a bit when you typed the title of your thread! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had a similar issue with my '96 OB cruise control. It might be a fuse; that's always a good place to start troubleshooting. Does yours have a push button on the dash that enables the cruise along with the control lever on the steering column that actually engages/disengages the system? If so, then does the light come on behind the Cruise push button when you try to turn it on? If that light comes on, then it's not the fuse.

My cruise control just went out of my legacy wagon '98. I'm wondering.hoping this is a fuse problem...or at least easy to address. any thoughts

odds are its not a fuse, but you can check. DO you have the light when you push the cruise button?

hehe i see my typos arent all the bad, an 09 ?

nipper

My cruise control just went out of my legacy wagon '98. I'm wondering.hoping this is a fuse problem...or at least easy to address. any thoughts

i have had occasions in my 95 leg sed, when the cruise would not work. i tried turning it on andd off no help. i figured that's it time to spend money. but surprise, the next time i drove, it owrked. so go ahead and check, but it may not be completely dead.

Look right above the brake pedal. (I can't remember if Subaru's cruise control depends on the brake light switch or if it uses a separate "cruise control dump switch", but one of those two is what cancels the cruise control when you press the brake pedal.) See if the little rubber bumper that the switch touches is loose or broken. That could leave the switch "open" all the time so it makes the cruise control think you're always pressing the brake pedal......

Two most likely other problems are the brake interlock switch -- if it is corroded and stuck "on," then the CC won't set because the interlock falsely indicates that you are stepping on the brake pedal. Otherwise the relay that actually engages the CC might be going. (Also, I don't remember if you said or not -- if you have a manual, then there's another switch on the clutch pedal.) It could also be that there is some dirt or corrosion in the Set/Reset switch on the steering column. The switches are relatively easy to check and/or clean. The relay is in the CC module, and that's tougher to get to. Check the switches first.