Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1999 Legacy Outback Limited has a flukey speedometer. I had the speedometer sensor replaced by a mechanic, but it is not functioning properly. Sometimes the needle will begin to work during driving, but usually it is resting on 0 mph. Any suggestions or tips for solving this problem or installing a new part?

My 1999 Legacy Outback Limited has a flukey speedometer. I had the speedometer sensor replaced by a mechanic, but it is not functioning properly. Sometimes the needle will begin to work during driving, but usually it is resting on 0 mph. Any suggestions or tips for solving this problem or installing a new part?

two possabilites, and this seems to be a problem topic, as im seeing it come up alot. Either its the VSS seonsor in the transmission (which may or may not throw cel or tranny light) or its corrosion in the spedo head (simple fix take spedo apart remove head clean terminals).

The car needs the vss sensors working to make the awd work. Since your not throwing a light i would normally look at the head first.

Exactly what did he replace?

nipper

Is the odometer working fine when the speedometer needle is stuck? I'm guessing the answer is 'yes.'

The sensor wasn't bad - it's the speedometer head (inside the dash - what the needle is attached to) that's bad. As noted here already, seems to be a common problem on late 90's models. Just had it replaced on my 99 Forester - same design as the Outback. I'd lived with it for years and finally got tired of it. Works like a champ now.

when you change the speedometer, do you just live with the new mileage or can it be adjusted to reflect your true mileage.?? i've read where you can order from subaru an odometer wuith your mileage on it , true??

Is the odometer working fine when the speedometer needle is stuck? I'm guessing the answer is 'yes.'

The sensor wasn't bad - it's the speedometer head (inside the dash - what the needle is attached to) that's bad. As noted here already, seems to be a common problem on late 90's models. Just had it replaced on my 99 Forester - same design as the Outback. I'd lived with it for years and finally got tired of it. Works like a champ now.

when you change the speedometer, do you just live with the new mileage or can it be adjusted to reflect your true mileage.?? i've read where you can order from subaru an odometer wuith your mileage on it , true??

Not true. Or at least if it is, my dealership didn't know about it. (It's an LCD odometer folks.) You have to live with the new mileage and a sticker on the car stating the mileage that the odometer was replaced. Don't know if the sticker in the door jamb is a State or Federal requirement, but here in WA that's what they do if there's a discrepancy in the odometer reading.

I had also heard that the odometer could be reprogrammed (on this board, I believe!), but only by someone with the equipment to do so. That's why I took it to the dealership. When I went to drive it away from the dealership and saw the odometer that said 000002, I was a little miffed. I went back in and asked why it wasn't reprogrammed and just got a blank stare. After explaining what I *thought* was going to happen, they just shook their head and said it couldn't be done.

Not true. Or at least if it is, my dealership didn't know about it. (It's an LCD odometer folks.) You have to live with the new mileage and a sticker on the car stating the mileage that the odometer was replaced. Don't know if the sticker in the door jamb is a State or Federal requirement, but here in WA that's what they do if there's a discrepancy in the odometer reading.

I had also heard that the odometer could be reprogrammed (on this board, I believe!), but only by someone with the equipment to do so. That's why I took it to the dealership. When I went to drive it away from the dealership and saw the odometer that said 000002, I was a little miffed. I went back in and asked why it wasn't reprogrammed and just got a blank stare. After explaining what I *thought* was going to happen, they just shook their head and said it couldn't be done.

i forogt the newer ones are lcd. My bad. Dealerships are the swiftest people on earth at times. They should have gotten one preset. You may have a problem when you go to sell the car in the future, keep all your paperwork its very important now.

nipper

You may have a problem when you go to sell the car in the future, keep all your paperwork its very important now.

nipper

Yes, and that's the reason they put the big, glowing orange sticker in the driver's side door jamb that states when the odometer was changed, and what the mileage on the original was. You can't miss it!

Yes, and that's the reason they put the big, glowing orange sticker in the driver's side door jamb that states when the odometer was changed, and what the mileage on the original was. You can't miss it!

Ok here in NY you have dmv paperwork to fill out if you want to keep the car honest. Other staes may not care. Never seen the big stickers befroe, but seen the glue where a sticker was.......:rolleyes:

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this hell. The sensor does not require replacing in this situation. The speedometer itself needs to be replaced.

This is a reoccuring problem on the 1999 series Legacies. Please write or call Subaru and complain. I asked that at the very least they send a service bulliten because I wasted 200 bucks on this repair plus another $250 for the speedo replacement. They never got back to me. Jerks.