Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DC/AC inverter use in 97 Outback

I'm going on a trip this summer and will probably take along a friend's laptop. I just picked up a 240W inverter. Some years ago, I bought a 300W unit for my ex's Honda van. It just kept blowing the fuse with the cig lighter outlet. I had to install a separate outlet. IIRC, it would blow from just turning the inverter on, even before I hooked anything up.

So... what is going to happen in my 97 Outback? Is there any difference between using the dash outlet, and the one in the back? With the dash outlet, will I just blow a fuse, or will that fusible link (that I have heard about) in the back of the socket blow?

TIA

Commuter

It's hard to say what will happen but since the new one is less power perhaps the startup current will be less also. I would plug it in the socket you want to use and just see what happens. You could also do a test using some jumper leads and a fuse tied to a battery with the unit to keep from using the cars power systems. You will need a 25A fuse to handle the full rated power of the new unit. If the new inverter has problems also I would get a smaller unit rated for 100 watts. That will still be plenty of power to run a laptop and shouldn't be a problem for the fuses to handle.

i've run a 400w inverter (i think, but big none the less). i have never blown a fuse in my 97obw cig lighter. i've run a laptop. i think it depends on the laptop and how much it draws.

at idle, the invedrter would make an alram noise indicating that there wasn't enough power from the car to supply the laptop. but the laptop has a battery for those times at idle.

my inverter came with a pretty hefty cord to plung into the lighter, and another hefty cord with large battery clips to connect directly to the battery. the thought being you don't want to burn up the car wiring by pulling too big a load so connect to the battery dircetly.

funny thing tho, the wires to the lighter appear to be very small. but as long as the wire is stronger than the fuse you're protected. my thought was to run a seperate wire to the inverter from the battery, but i never needed it.

my guees is that there was a problem with your other inverter, or it was under fused. i think you'll be ok.

john

I'm going on a trip this summer and will probably take along a friend's laptop. I just picked up a 240W inverter. Some years ago, I bought a 300W unit for my ex's Honda van. It just kept blowing the fuse with the cig lighter outlet. I had to install a separate outlet. IIRC, it would blow from just turning the inverter on, even before I hooked anything up.

So... what is going to happen in my 97 Outback? Is there any difference between using the dash outlet, and the one in the back? With the dash outlet, will I just blow a fuse, or will that fusible link (that I have heard about) in the back of the socket blow?

TIA

Commuter

I have a 350watt inverter used to run/recharge a toshiba laptop in the 96 OBW. I blew the bridge-wire on the back of the socket (front cigarette lighter) and repaired it with 60/40 solder (heavier gauge diameter than the original bridge-wire)and has been fine recently, although sometimes it wont charge while actually using the laptop, only when the laptop is turned off will it charge . My Toshiba is a power hog as laptops go. The powerpack or "brick" is rated at:

input - 100V - 240V @ 1.8 amps

output - 19V @6.3 amps

Hope this gives you a reference.

An inverter won't use power until something needs it (something plugged in). Sound to me like a shorted inverter or a bad cig lighter connection.

You are correct about it using little current with no load on it but there is a good amount of startup current used when it is first plugged in.

We have a Shuttle in our capmervan running on a 300w 240v inverter. The Shuttle's power supply is rated to 240w and as its not using this 100% of the time the inverter powers it with no problems. As a laptop is Waaay less power hungry than a shuttle id say no problems man.

KELTIK