Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This might sound like a stupid question but how do you know when your ABS has kicked in on your car? Should the light come on when it's working? Have 05 Impreza RS SW. Had really bad downpours here & with the roads being really slippery you think that the ABS would be kicking in?

Well if it's anything like my '02 outback you'll definitely hear a whirring/grinding noise as the ABS kicks in. And also feel some pedal vibration, no light though.

I'm guessing you just haven't been braking hard enough. I've only had mine kick in a couple times during very heavy braking in the rain. Now snow on the other hand...

Just make an emergency stop test on a empty road. Where it is of course safe to do. You can also try it on a dirt road to feel the difference in braking force. On asphalt you will hear some skidding as well. If there is enough space, i mean big parking lot try steering feel what the car does. 15 to 25 mph is more than fast enough you don't wanna crash it I assume.

And as told the sound is strange to braking a very rattling noise, try it with you windows open to hear it better. And the brake padel feels strange as well, like you feel loosing brake force because the pedal is vibrating as well.

ABS is used to reduce loss of control when you have for example 2 wheels on the soft shoulder and you brake hard the wheels lock up and there is absolutely no control anymore. The car will go strait to the direction of the two wheels having most grip. ABS will prevent wheel lock up and the car will be controllable.

This might sound like a stupid question but how do you know when your ABS has kicked in on your car? Should the light come on when it's working? Have 05 Impreza RS SW. Had really bad downpours here & with the roads being really slippery you think that the ABS would be kicking in?

unlike other cars, the abs light does not come on to tell you its engaged. You will know whane it kicks in, there is no mistaking it. It may kick in when breaking over a pothole or a man hole cover thats wet.

Like was said by rverdoold find someplace wet next time it rains and stand on the brake pedal at 20-30 mph. Always a good idea to know what this feels like. Sometimes you cant get it to do it on a dry raod because of good brakes, tires, or your brain wont let you brake that hard without having too.

Read your owners manual, i think you dont have any brake assist (not power brakes) if you do its even harder to get the abs to activate on dry ground.

nipper