Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A couple of you locals know what the answer is, please let someone else answer. :)

OK, since Skip hasn't done one of these for awhile, I thought I'd try one.

This has to do with a problem that came up on a 1996 2.2; my OBS.

I've never had any kind of engine problems in the year I've owned the car.

I drove it to Ken's house to help work on the little rally imp. @50 miles one way. I had my hatch open for an hour or more listening to music while we worked. When it came time to move it aside to make room to roll another car into the garage I got in it to move it.

It started, but was running very rough, like it was missing spark in 1 or 2 cylinders. NO power, could barely get it to rev to 3 grand. So we got to pulling off the spark plug wires one at a time to check which cylinder was miss-firing. Turned out to be both of the rears. 1 and 2?

~Changing plugs and swapping out wires made no difference.

~I have a perfect power engine management chip in the car. I disconnected it and put on the bridge, still no difference.

Anybody know what would cause this. Simple fix, expensive part.

If you do konw the part, what would cause it to fail?

OH GOD NO NOT ANOTHER ONE SHOOT ME NOW :D:banghead::drunk:

sounds like a problem we are having over on "please help car wont start" but that i think is a timing belt issue, though he is getting only iginition on 1-2. I agree with you it may be the coil. Do you have a cel?

nipper

you burned the coil out with the key left on the accesory position.
Actually the accessory position is provided as a means to NOT burn the coil out during extended accessory usage.

Now leaving the key in the ignition position with the engine not running might present a problem... with points anyway, I'm not 100% sure this applies to transistor-triggered ignition.

**** ******!

Actually the accessory position is provided as a means to NOT burn the coil out during extended accessory usage.

Now leaving the key in the ignition position with the engine not running might present a problem... with points anyway, I'm not 100% sure this applies to transistor-triggered ignition.

**** ******!

do it for a few hours and it will.

nipper

<<Actually the accessory position is provided as a means to NOT burn the coil out during extended accessory usage.

Now leaving the key in the ignition position with the engine not running might present a problem... with points anyway, I'm not 100% sure this applies to transistor-triggered ignition.>>

i think its more along the lines of having the perfect power piggyback and the wiring for it wired a different way.

<<Actually the accessory position is provided as a means to NOT burn the coil out during extended accessory usage.

Now leaving the key in the ignition position with the engine not running might present a problem... with points anyway, I'm not 100% sure this applies to transistor-triggered ignition.>>

i think its more along the lines of having the perfect power piggyback and the wiring for it wired a different way.

there are warnings in the haynes manual, the owners manual, and chiltons not to do this (on any car). if everything is lined up, it can deliver power to the coil and have that one plug zapping, and it will over heat the ignitor or coil and fry it.

there are warnings in the haynes manual, the owners manual, and chiltons not to do this (on any car). if everything is lined up, it can deliver power to the coil and have that one plug zapping, and it will over heat the ignitor or coil and fry it.
There are warnings in the Subaru owners manual not to do specifically what?

**** ******!

There are warnings in the Subaru owners manual not to do specifically what?

**** ******!

leave the car on and it not running, can damage the ignition system. interesting, it doesnt mention it in the owners manual (my bad). I have seen it in others. It does say it in the repair manuals (dont leave the car in the on position and not running for any length of time).

Maybe we can sue everytime we burn a coil out :)

nipper

It was the ignitor. It really had us stumped, so I called Sean at Rallitek. He knew right off the top of his head.

So I replaced it with one from the J/Y, cuz a new one would be 300+ dollars, and the dealership would have to order it.

2 months went by with no problems. Then it happened again. I was sitting outside of the bar with the key on so the guys in the car with me having a safety meeting could roll the windows up or down if they wanted to.

Sure enough, it failed me when I started it up. My luck? I had been to Pull a Part that morning and had grabbed one just cuz. Needless to say, I grabbed 3 more to have in my glove box for next time.

Ken's brighton with the 2.5 swap had the same thing happen. We're pretty sure that the shop that was installing his alarm must have left the key on.

Sean says that the Perfect Power makes them work harder and may have contributed as well.

It was the ignitor. It really had us stumped, so I called Sean at Rallitek. He knew right off the top of his head.

So I replaced it with one from the J/Y, cuz a new one would be 300+ dollars, and the dealership would have to order it.

2 months went by with no problems. Then it happened again. I was sitting outside of the bar with the key on so the guys in the car with me having a safety meeting could roll the windows up or down if they wanted to.

Sure enough, it failed me when I started it up. My luck? I had been to Pull a Part that morning and had grabbed one just cuz. Needless to say, I grabbed 3 more to have in my glove box for next time.

Ken's brighton with the 2.5 swap had the same thing happen. We're pretty sure that the shop that was installing his alarm must have left the key on.

Sean says that the Perfect Power makes them work harder and may have contributed as well.

Subaru ignitors are what Chrysler ballast resistors used to be. Fairly simple part can keep the car from running. i keep one in the car just to escape murphies law after having them go bad in the past.

nipper