Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump Question

i TOOK OFF THE 4 BOLTS THAT HOLD THE OIL PUMP.. ON MY 87 ST HATCH. i CANT SEEM TO GET IT OFF I FOUND ANOTHER BOLT ON THE OIL PUMP.. DO I NEED TO TAKE THIS ONE OFF TOO ITS KINDA LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF THE OIL PUMP.... ITS RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE PULLY

No - there is only 4 bolts that hold it to the block. A 1/4" drive ratchet with a 2" extension and a standard depth 10mm will take out all the bolts without removing the crank pulley. Rotate the pump back and forth while pulling gently to remove it from the block - it helps to leave the oil filter attached to it for some leverage. DO NOT pry on the pump or you WILL crack the drive spade housing - it's cast aluminium and very brittle.

The 14mm on the pump is the pressure relief spring housing on the pump, it does not attach the pump to the block in any way.

GD

ahhh I just broke my damn wrench craftsman too trying to remove the pully.. Is it normal for that oil pump to be like on there that tight.. i mean itas like the bolts I took out are still in there,.. so I dont have to wrry abouty that big bolt??? gd now i broke a wrech trying to do something pointless.. so what take the 4 out and then kinda turn it and take it off hr oil pump it fells like its glued on

they weer only hand tight they wernt torqued no wonder i was losing oil lke really fast.. and theres a layer of crusted ol around the pump. I prolly dont need the seals now but thery were only 4.50 for the seal set

ahhh I just broke my damn wrench craftsman too trying to remove the pully.. Is it normal for that oil pump to be like on there that tight.. i mean itas like the bolts I took out are still in there,.. so I dont have to wrry abouty that big bolt??? gd now i broke a wrech trying to do something pointless.. so what take the 4 out and then kinda turn it and take it off hr oil pump it fells like its glued on

Yes in answer to your question, they are all like that!

Do a search, everyone has a similar problem.

I broke my spacer plate when I tried it:mad:.

Be careful take your time twist but don't pry.

Good Luck,

Glenn

I've never really experienced the "stuck" oil pump. I just apply constant pulling force while twisting and they come right off.... but YMMV. I've pulled over half a dozen that I can think of, and more than that off parts motors and such that weren't in a car. Getting the damn screws out that hold the pump itself together is another issue - very sharp screwdriver, a vice with some soft pads or wood blocks, and a sharp hammer blow will usually get them turning without totally destroying them....

GD

I broke it the spacer bracket.. the oil pump is stuck on there I was outside trying to get it off for 3 hours.. nothing.. I got it all lose but one corner the top left is seized onto the block i treied prying and nothing. i can only move it up and down. it really is pissiing me off. I have to have my car so I can go 4x4 with these kids in poulsbro next weekend. god im so irrated.. I have never seen an oil pump this stuck ever i tried turning and pulling, i tried twsiting I tried everything.. So then I got pissed and smashed my turn signal lens in with a ratchet.. then smashed the little lip in front of the radiator to shreds.. Im ready to freak out

Don't get mad and hurt the sube, dude :cool:

If it seems to be mostly free, and will rotate, than obviously it's not a seal that just needs to be broken. Are you positive you got all the bolts out of it? I mean, does it pivot around one point? What about the possibility that the sleeve that fits inside the block is hanging up on something?

Every time I get really pissed off working on cars I end up breaking something I shouldn't. So I don't get pissed anymore ;) Too expensive...

Yeah Right Ive Seen Professional Mechanics Flip Out And Start Breaking Stuff.. Hahah Youth. People Have Been Working On Cars For Years And Years.. Some People Just Dont Know The Frustration That An Old Subaru Will Give You

I'm well aware of the frustration - I currently own 4. Frustration is a state of mind. I have never found myself "frustrated" per-se. If something doesn't work, then I sit down in the garage, and think it through. It really comes down to being calm enough to let yourself think it through. One big factor is always having at least one vehicle to drive. That way if you don't get the problem fixed, you have something to drive to work or the parts store. Takes a lot of the stress out of the situation. I figured this out when I was a mechanic in the ARMY - I realized that I never got stressed about fixing vechicles at work because it never affected me being able to go somewhere, and I always had the right tools or could get them easily.

GD

Yeah Right Ive Seen Professional Mechanics Flip Out And Start Breaking Stuff..

Then they weren't proffesional.

With the oil pump, you may need to take a mallot and gently tap the edge of the pump to get it to rotate. The gasket maybe fusing the oil pump to the block. Once you have it alittle loose, just rotate and pull. The oil pump shaft fits snuggly into the block, and it is a pain to remove. Patience is key.

-Brian