Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm getting a check engine that's giving me a P07430 - Lock-up Duty Solenoid.

Car: '98 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5l Auto

Can someone help with the following:

1.) Where is this solenoid located?

2.) Is there any way to troubleshoot it?

3.) Can it simply be replaced, or is the problem deeper?

Aside note, when I start up in the morning I get a flashing "AT Oil Temp". It does go away after a 10-20 seconds and doesn't return?? Any connection?

Its in the tail shaft of the Transmission. Put the FWD fuse in the holder (engine compartment) and see if it goes into FWD. If not the solenoid or wire is bad.

You can check it from the trans plugs in the engine compartment, but I forget which terminals are for the C-Duty. Search C Duty Solenoid and you will see some great pictures of the parts location.

I would not drive the car to long without getting it fixed. I purchase one that took out the front CV joint as it is in FULL AWD All the time.

1) It is located in the valve body of the transmission(see attachment --#12)

2) checking continuity in the solenoid circuit when the solenoid is hot or when the light comes on

3)You have to drop the pan to replace(do this cold )

Hope this helps

SEA#3

Cool Stuff!! you guys Rock. I think it might be wiring so I'm going to check it out next weekend. It's most likely my fault. I took the engine out and replaced the head gaskets and when I put it back in I held up the trans with my jack, from the pan. Not a smart thing to do, but wasn't thinking at the time. Let you know how it pans out.

Its in the tail shaft of the Transmission. Put the FWD fuse in the holder (engine compartment) and see if it goes into FWD. If not the solenoid or wire is bad.

You can check it from the trans plugs in the engine compartment, but I forget which terminals are for the C-Duty. Search C Duty Solenoid and you will see some great pictures of the parts location.

I would not drive the car to long without getting it fixed. I purchase one that took out the front CV joint as it is in FULL AWD All the time.

There are a six solenoids in the tranny. He is talking about the solenoid that operates the lock up torque converter, the duty b solenoid.

nipper

Nipper's right, and Sea#3 has given you the correct thing to look at. This OBD-II code is for the Torque Converter Lock-up circuit. There is a solenoid that controls whether or not the TC locks. If it fails, the tranny will still work, but you will have excessive slip on the torque converter, resulting in worse mileage, and hotter tranny fluid.

Cool Stuff!! you guys Rock. I think it might be wiring so I'm going to check it out next weekend. It's most likely my fault. I took the engine out and replaced the head gaskets and when I put it back in I held up the trans with my jack, from the pan. Not a smart thing to do, but wasn't thinking at the time. Let you know how it pans out.

Got a feeling you might have crush the soleinoid !!!

Drop the pan and have a look, check the solenoid where the connector goes , if it is loose on the solenoid it is most likley done . You can also check for continuity it should be less than 1 ohm

SEA#3