Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recall - suspension weld defect - 98V091000

Hello All, While driving this past Saturday I noticed my 97 Legacy wagon pulled to the left while braking and had a slight wobble. I dropped it off at local shop with note indicating potential brake problem and the need for a oil change and lube. They called me back yesterday indicating that the lower control arm was broken and this was a recall item. I called Subaru USA (1-800-782-2783) wanting to know more about the recall (98V091000) before contacting the local Subaru dealer. I was told by the agent that my car wasn't part of the recall and need to get it to the local dealer for assessment. My concern is that Subaru will blow me off since this is a 1997 with almost 100,000 miles on the odometer. Anybody had this problem? How do I find out what VIN numbers were affected by this?

Thanks

Years ago I was sent the same recall notice for my 98 OBW LTD, and the dealership replaced both control arms under warranty. I no longer have the car ( bought an 02 OBW LTD) but it was a pretty painless fix. If your car is on the recall list, I think that you'll find that Subaru will stand behind it. If they don't, write a polite but strongly worded note to Customer Relations of Subaru, suggesting that their help in this matter will help you determine whether or not you replace your car with another Subaru, or switch to Nissan or Toyota. Years ago my wife's Toyota Cressida developed a sunroof glitch that was fixed under warranty to the first owner of the car for the first three years. We were second owners and just into the fourth year of ownership, and were told by the dealership that they couldn't help us. A similar letter to Toyota Customer Relations at that time, got us a call from our dealership 2 weeks later, asking us to bring in the car as Toyota was going to pay to put in a new sunroof computer free of charge. That's one reason why we still have one Toyota (actually a Lexus, since they don't make the Cressida anymore) in the driveway, ...... next to the all weather, can't be stopped Subie.

I received the same recall notice from Subaru years ago. I'm the second owner, the original owner bought the car in PA and it has spent most of its life in the Gulf Coast region.

Well, I went to the local dealer at the time, and they claim they "looked into it" but deemed the recall NOT necessary on my 97 because I didn't live or drive the car in "the rust belt/salted road conditions", which I thought was a bunch of crap. My VIN is included in the recall, so I might look into it again with the current dealership, or at least get the "rust belt/salted road conditions" opinion signed off on by the dealership so if and when it does fail Subaru would have more problems then they want out of this customer.

They must perform all safety recall work reguardless of miles or ownership.

GM and all of them try to pull that crap. Problem is the dealers don't wanna get stuck with the bill so they make you work for it. If you take their word and give up..... All the better for them. Gotta call corp and talk to someone who is gonna care.

Still to this day dealers have to be forced into doing it but there is an 80s seatbelt GM recall. Problem is they used red stickers on the seat belt button. Law state no parts of a seat belt can wear out. Worn or sun fadded stickers break this law. They have to replace any of the red button ones with the newer blue that doesn't fade or wear from thumb use.

You just gotta *************** your way up high enough. Safety recalls are for life.....

If I remember correctly, there was a recall for an issue on my 2000 which was only applicable to rust belt states. Seems odd since who is to say that you don't live in Arizona but travel extensively in the rust belt area. There is an argument should they try that sidestep on you. Good luck.