Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wow. talk about overload on information! i'm a complete idiot when it comes to engines and even basic electronics, but this manual has every little tid-bit. for those on this board that are like me, i highly recommend this. example:

i didn't know my car had a 2.5, i thought it was a 2.2 but since my 6th vin digit is a 6, this book tells me i indeed have a 2.5 (not that i know what the differance is) thus it states i need platinum type plugs. i don't recall seeing an option for platinum type plugs on subarupartsforyou.com which raises the question. do i indeed have a 2.5 and subarupartsofryou.com does not stock spark plugs for it, or is haynes wrong and i have a 2.2?

some of the regularly scheduled maintenance items listed to do weekly/monthly seem strange, tire pressure, oil levels, coolant levels, etc. how many of you out there abide by this timeline?

wow. talk about overload on information! i'm a complete idiot when it comes to engines and even basic electronics, but this manual has every little tid-bit. for those on this board that are like me, i highly recommend this. example:

i didn't know my car had a 2.5, i thought it was a 2.2 but since my 6th vin digit is a 6, this book tells me i indeed have a 2.5 (not that i know what the differance is) thus it states i need platinum type plugs. i don't recall seeing an option for platinum type plugs on subarupartsforyou.com which raises the question. do i indeed have a 2.5 and subarupartsofryou.com does not stock spark plugs for it, or is haynes wrong and i have a 2.2?

some of the regularly scheduled maintenance items listed to do weekly/monthly seem strange, tire pressure, oil levels, coolant levels, etc. how many of you out there abide by this timeline?

double check what your reading. #6 is 2.2 not 2.5 do not believe 2.5 was out in 95 m/y. petty sure it's a 2.2 engine you have. as far as schedule maintenace goes you should check you oil every time you fill up. you need to be sure your oil level is good all the time. at least once a month check your coolant level; you head off troubles this way. if the level drops it is telling you to find your leak before the heater core goes bad, hoses have swelled up and are leaking; replace before they brake on the road type of things to fix before F.O.R.D. the one about tire pressure with the price of gas today I run 35 psi all around. it's on the door jam. you will get better gas milage with the higher tire pressure. 35 is the highest you would want to go thru. any higher and handling and tire life drop off fast.

as with all information you take it with a grain of salt, it to can be wrong. A good maintenance shedule will save you trouble on the road (I travel thru the night, go south at night and don't have time to lose to road repairs) hoses that are older then you know should be changed as you can afford them. steps like these with keep you enjoying your subaru for as long as you can stand it. I'm on my fourth turbo legacy sports sedan and loving it. be well, be safe. D

www.cars101.com for sepcs . Haynes manual, sit down and read it. It is pretty well written, hit anything you dont understand ask us.

Tire pressure is critical to the awd system, check that every time you get gas. Used to be you checked with every fillup. Tires are once a week., and a walkaround the car once a day. A low tire can wipe out the AWD system in 2 days.

nipper

and welcome to our crazyness:headbang:

haynes-VIN.jpg

thanks for the advice. I'm gonna take it a few baby steps at a time, starting with things i've done in the past. Oil, Airfilter, brake pades, AT fluid.........i've never flushed anything, except oil (dur), so i'm anxious to see how smoothly it goes......... yeah it's a 95, and the 6th digit in is a 6 on in VIN's, i even checked other VINs on the other parts of the car, they're all the same, no mismatching, even checked the title...... which leads me to perplexion. i want OEM plugs and wires, that much i've decided on.....:burnout:

Haynes manual has been pretty good for me so far.....but I found much of the missing material here on USMB and it's colorful and knowledgable members.:brow:

Torque value for front crank pulley is wrong - should be 120ft-lbs+.

Good guide for brakes and suspension/axles as well as general maintenance.