Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thoughts On Used Japanese Engines

No correction needed. You are right.

But there are countless EJ22 and EJ25 "Japanese" engines for sale on eBay all the time, when they're really USDM engines. Those are the ones I'm referring to.

If it's an EJ20TT or something like that, no it is not USDM, but it doesn't necessarily have to be JDM either ;)

any idea the power the tt's put down?

:headbang: Years ago I bought a 'low mileage engine from Japan' for a Datsun I had. I purchased it from GI Joes. The Datsun had sucked a valve @136,000 miles so I just decided to replace the engine.

My Father and I put in the new engine, hooked everything up and when we filled the cooling system, coolant started pouring out of the head! Hadn't even started it yet! We were pissed! So we pulled out that engine and GI Joes ordered another one for me. They even delivered it and we lived way out in the sticks at the time. The new engine was awesome! We had a few problems with the smog control as it was a different set up then my 'American' Datsun, but once we bypassed most of it, the engine ran great! It had more power then my old engine and I personally drove the car for 3 more years with no problems. I saw the car around the Valley for about 3 or 4 more years after that.

Just sharing my experience.

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

any idea the power the tt's put down?

They're RATED at 280hp from factory, but there is a gentlemen's agreement in Japan that cars won't have over 280hp. So it may be rated at that, but there's a good chance it makes more, closer to 300hp.

They're RATED at 280hp from factory, but there is a gentlemen's agreement in Japan that cars won't have over 280hp. So it may be rated at that, but there's a good chance it makes more, closer to 300hp.

maybe higher. Japanese taxes are based on displacement, not horse power. They are really good at getting a stupid amount of HP out of small engines that no sane man would think of having that much power come out of.

:banana:

nipper

Ususally it will come with all the stuff on the motor but they recomend that you use your accesories because they do not warrenty anything but the motor.

hey so i now found a 2.5l long block from cns motors. it is a jdm import. these engines look like they come with everything from intake to to power steering to altenator. looks like everything. and you could just drop it in. says it has 40-60000 miles. wouldn't you think that all the parts on the long block would be worth it since my cars has 190000 miles of michigan salt on it. they want $1100 for it. wait wait sorry it says it is a sample picture and that it requires you to use your intake and other parts. sorry

jake

Ususally it will come with all the stuff on the motor but they recomend that you use your accesories because they do not warrenty anything but the motor.

hey so i now found a 2.5l long block from cns motors. it is a jdm import. these engines look like they come with everything from intake to to power steering to altenator. looks like everything. and you could just drop it in. says it has 40-60000 miles. wouldn't you think that all the parts on the long block would be worth it since my cars has 190000 miles of michigan salt on it. they want $1100 for it. wait wait sorry it says it is a sample picture and that it requires you to use your intake and other parts. sorry

jake

maybe higher. Japanese taxes are based on displacement, not horse power. They are really good at getting a stupid amount of HP out of small engines that no sane man would think of having that much power come out of.

Well, another thing too, many of Japan's engines are bottled up, just to bring the HP down roughly to that 280hp mark.

I've heard a report (although I can't source it) of a Skyline that was supposedly rated at 280hp, then it was chipped, and dyno'ed, and the new HP rating was 450hp. From a chip!!

Well, another thing too, many of Japan's engines are bottled up, just to bring the HP down roughly to that 280hp mark.

I've heard a report (although I can't source it) of a Skyline that was supposedly rated at 280hp, then it was chipped, and dyno'ed, and the new HP rating was 450hp. From a chip!!

If the computer controls the boost on the Skyline then that's quite possible. I remember guys getting 400 hp from the 2.0 Litre turbo in the Talon 10 years ago by cranking up the boost. The Skyline has a larger (and likely stronger ) engine. If you increase the boost and can get high enough octane fuel, then 450 should be doable at least for a while.