Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is It Safe....

Mechanially, with the motor as a stand-alone component, the exhaust system is nothing more than an "add-on".

However, for a number of reasons (including psychological) quieting things down a bit will give you more confidence as a driver when you really get on it. Excessive noise will discourage you from pushing the car to it's limit. You'll hold back even when there's no mechanical reason to do so.

Theres a trade-off here, so you should be mindful of where you drive, and the kind of attention you are likely to attract. If you drive in a populous area you'll want a muffler for the simple fact that a loud car will get some unwelcome looks. Clueless cops thrive on this kind of nonsense.

Simple rule of thumb in life: You don't want to open up a can of worms when you don't have to...

good luck, John

Mechanially, with the motor as a stand-alone component, the exhaust system is nothing more than an "add-on".

However, for a number of reasons (including psychological) quieting things down a bit will give you more confidence as a driver when you really get on it. Excessive noise will discourage you from pushing the car to it's limit. You'll hold back even when there's no mechanical reason to do so.

Theres a trade-off here, so you should be mindful of where you drive, and the kind of attention you are likely to attract. If you drive in a populous area you'll want a muffler for the simple fact that a loud car will get some unwelcome looks. Clueless cops thrive on this kind of nonsense.

Simple rule of thumb in life: You don't want to open up a can of worms when you don't have to...

good luck, John

Well i dont think i'll hold back even if it is loud, Loudness will never discourage me From runnin my car to it's full limit or hold back,and draws attention... alot of the cops around here know me anyway...(Half my family are cops) and look on the bright side i wont be able to hear the exhaust when my radio is on :headbang:

on the bright side i wont be able to hear the exhaust when my radio is on :headbang:

Trust me thats NOT a good thing for long trips cause sometimes after 2 hours you'd rather listen to the droning sound of exhaust then the 2 cd's you have because you forgot to bring your collection along. Olympia, WA to Pullman, WA, 5 hour drive 1 cd and Open downpipe in my 240. if there had been a tree I probably would of driven myself into it

given that the glass is broken it'll be alot louder than if it wasn't broken. I ran that setup in my old truck my freshman year in HS and now i'm glad i don't have it. The setup i want to do now is maybe a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with good flow and really quiet... and slap on a electronic cutout. Now that's cool!

good luck, John

I like my to be able to hear what my engine is doing. I tend to drive harder when the exhaust is louder. I don't have a radio in my car either cause I like to listen to the car.

To Run A Glass Pack Cherry Bomb Muffler With The Glass Burned Out? Will It Hurt The Motor..... And Its A 2 3/4" Muffler To The Stock 2 1/4" Exhaust Tube? Just Wanna Make Sure Im Not Gonna Hurt The Engine :burnout:

nah, the glass will all get blown out eventually. it's pretty much just becomes a straightpipe.

I like my to be able to hear what my engine is doing. I tend to drive harder when the exhaust is louder. I don't have a radio in my car either cause I like to listen to the car.

I dont have a stereo in my monster just because of the fact that I'm so paranoid something is going to go wrong i listen to every little sound it makes and if I cant hear something I pull over and figure out whats wrong :lol:

I put a Cherry Bomb glass pack on my Trooper a couple weeks ago. It took less than 15 minutes!

I can touch the pack when the vehicle is hot! The pipe will fry my hand.

Why not spend the $20 and put on a new, proper sized glass pack rather than a burn out used one?:confused:

You can't buy a tank of gas for $20.

Guess its too late now?

Basic physics. The length and diameter of the exhaust pipes dictates how much energy is required to push exhaust fumes out of the cylinders. It isn't much energy, but it is a measurable amount. This resistance is factored into the design of the engine and exhaust system. Dicking around indiscriminately with this design just for noise and kicks is not only annoying, but pretty silly from a performance and egineering standpoint.

Have fun...

Basic physics. The length and diameter of the exhaust pipes dictates how much energy is required to push exhaust fumes out of the cylinders. It isn't much energy, but it is a measurable amount. This resistance is factored into the design of the engine and exhaust system. Dicking around indiscriminately with this design just for noise and kicks is not only annoying, but pretty silly from a performance and egineering standpoint.

Have fun...

I'd be curious to know how much backpressure was "engineered" into the design. I'm assuming that this was kept at the absolute minimum.

Keep in mind that these motors were used in a variety of applications - including aviation. I doubt that Fuji intended for a lot of restriction at high altitudes. Probably to opposite...

If anyone knows for certain, please share

John

Have fun...

true in this case but not in all cases

turbo cars you want as big of a pipe as you can fit under the car aka you want no backpressure at all after the turbo