Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OOPS...a question on fuel and AC discharge.

Hi,

The 2.5L DOHC engine from my 1997 Outback is going into a Volkswagen Vanagon. I was feeling pretty proud of myself the other day for having completed removal of all the wiring needed for the swap when I suddenly remembered that I had not yet relieved the pressure in the fuel system or discharged the air conditioning system. I know the Haynes manual suggests unplugging the fuel pump and running the car until it dies to relieve fuel pressure, but is there anything else I can do without shooting gasoline all over the garage? I also have no experience with working on air conditioning systems, but am quite intimidated by the Haynes manual's warnings that the air conditioning system is under high pressure.

What should I do?

Andrew

Ok the a/c system, unless your using the compressor leave it alone, Just swing the compressor out of the way. SInce i have an Federal AC license i cannot tell you anything else (doesnt mean no one else can't). WHat ever you do choose to do wear work gloves and goggles, do it someplace with ventilation, as accidents do happen while handling AC systems.

Fuel system, ive never really had a problem with pressure in the system when its on a non running car. You have the bigest threat a non issue, a hot exhaust system and engine. You dissconnect it at the fuel filter and you should de pressurize it, as there are no check valves in the system Your going to get a minimal amount of fule out that is pressurized. What prep work are you going to do to the engine before installing it.

nipper

Thanks for the info. I think removing the compressor is probably a good idea. The swap does call for it if I want to have AC in the Vanagon, but I'm not too excited about the prospect of discharging it myself. I guess I still haven't fully decided against doing the discharge, having researched the price of finding a used compressor sometime later on. However, of course I understand that being safe in the garage is the first priority. Are there tools I can get for less than the price of a new compressor that will allow me to discharge the system safely?

Also, thanks for the info on the fuel system. I was pretty sure that disconnecting the lines at the filter with plenty of rags and a receptacle handy wouldn't be a problem.

As for prep work, I figure it would be criminal not to replace the rear main seal while the engine is out. I'll do the valve cover gaskets, but maybe not the head gaskets because they've been replaced once and seem to be doing fine. I went all out on the last timing belt change, maybe 7 or 8 thousand miles ago: cam seals, crank seal, resealed oil pump and replaced water pump and thermostat. Is there anything else I should think about doing?

Ok the a/c system, unless your using the compressor leave it alone, Just swing the compressor out of the way. SInce i have an Federal AC license i cannot tell you anything else (doesnt mean no one else can't). WHat ever you do choose to do wear work gloves and goggles, do it someplace with ventilation, as accidents do happen while handling AC systems.

Fuel system, ive never really had a problem with pressure in the system when its on a non running car. You have the bigest threat a non issue, a hot exhaust system and engine. You dissconnect it at the fuel filter and you should de pressurize it, as there are no check valves in the system Your going to get a minimal amount of fule out that is pressurized. What prep work are you going to do to the engine before installing it.

nipper

Are there tools I can get for less than the price of a new compressor that will allow me to discharge the system safely?

The short answer is no. Your best bet, provided the OB is still drivable, is to bring it to a garage that services AC systems and have them discharge it. All AC service facilities are required to recover refrigerant before opening up the system for service. The equipment required to do this costs several thousand dollars.

The short answer is no. Your best bet, provided the OB is still drivable, is to bring it to a garage that services AC systems and have them discharge it. All AC service facilities are required to recover refrigerant before opening up the system for service. The equipment required to do this costs several thousand dollars.

That car isn't going anywhere under its own power. I pretty much gutted it like a trout. All engine-related electrical components and wiring harnesses have been removed. I've decided to just leave the compressor in the car and find another one if I want to set up AC in the Vanagon at some point. I'm not going to let the AC gas into the air just because I screwed up by not having it discharged before beginning the project.

Thanks for the replies, though.

gas, just pull the lines and have some towels/old shirt/bucket underneath. not that much gas comes out at all. disconnect the fuel pump wiring harness so it never comes on and tries to push any gas.

a/c, just disconnect a line and all the refrigerant blows out, it's that simple. yes it's illegal, but that's the way to do it if you got no other choice. makes a loud freaking noise and starts coming out with some serious force. just loosen and jump away.

That car isn't going anywhere under its own power. I pretty much gutted it like a trout. All engine-related electrical components and wiring harnesses have been removed. I've decided to just leave the compressor in the car and find another one if I want to set up AC in the Vanagon at some point. I'm not going to let the AC gas into the air just because I screwed up by not having it discharged before beginning the project.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Find someone with a R134 cantap with a hose and guage that you can borrow. I think they're less than $15 at the parts store if you feel like buying one. Follow the safety instructions. It's possible that your system has discharged itself (leaked out). Especially if you've been moving the hoses around much. If it's discharged, just carefully unhook it. If it's got pressure, then you have a decision to make. BTW, if you leave it charged, it will eventually leak out to the atmosphere anyhow. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" deal. The only difference is one's illegal, one's not. IMHO, Mother Nature get's the dose either way. Good luck with the swap! Anybody see the TV show "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery when he worked in the wrecking yard where the shred and crush cars? The employee who worked at the yard reaches over with bolt cutters and cuts the pressurized A/C line and blows refrigerant all over the place. What an idiot. :eek: I wonder what the authorities thought of that? Caught on camera on a national TV show. They even show it regularly on the teasers for the show. Check it out.

Find someone with a R134 cantap with a hose and guage that you can borrow. I think they're less than $15 at the parts store if you feel like buying one. Follow the safety instructions. It's possible that your system has discharged itself (leaked out). Especially if you've been moving the hoses around much. If it's discharged, just carefully unhook it. If it's got pressure, then you have a decision to make. BTW, if you leave it charged, it will eventually leak out to the atmosphere anyhow. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later" deal. The only difference is one's illegal, one's not. IMHO, Mother Nature get's the dose either way. Good luck with the swap! Anybody see the TV show "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery when he worked in the wrecking yard where the shred and crush cars? The employee who worked at the yard reaches over with bolt cutters and cuts the pressurized A/C line and blows refrigerant all over the place. What an idiot. :eek: I wonder what the authorities thought of that? Caught on camera on a national TV show. They even show it regularly on the teasers for the show. Check it out.

i saw that, im waiting for the repeat ....... :grin:

nipper