Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I have a issue with my amps. I am hooking up 2 amplifiers, one to four speakers, and the other to 2 subwoofers. The speakers are hooked up in parrallel mode, and the subs are connected in series. The RCA cables are not running along the power line, however when I turn the audio on there is a low hum across everything speakers and subs. when I turn the sound up the hum is there and the speakers/subs work... I have no idea what is causing this hum, and cannot find any information as to what it is... PLEASE HELP :)

Thanks in advance!:confused:

Hello, I have a issue with my amps. I am hooking up 2 amplifiers, one to four speakers, and the other to 2 subwoofers. The speakers are hooked up in parrallel mode, and the subs are connected in series. The RCA cables are not running along the power line, however when I turn the audio on there is a low hum across everything speakers and subs. when I turn the sound up the hum is there and the speakers/subs work... I have no idea what is causing this hum, and cannot find any information as to what it is... PLEASE HELP :)

Thanks in advance!:confused:

you need to double check all your grounds and power supplies. Make sure there are no ground loops. Your going to have to play with fire poistion too. Is the hum there with the subwoofers disabled or disconnected. you need to play with thinngs one at a time and make sure your speaker phasing is correct.

nipper

PS found this

While not common, sometimes there is a hum problem unless the ground of the subwoofer and ground of

the receiver (or processor or preamp) are attached to each other. Sub-A includes an additional conductor

with spade-lug tails at both ends of the cable. If the system has a hum problem, try attaching the lugs to the

metal chassis of subwoofer amp chassis and to the chassis on the sending end. Normally this extra wire will

not be needed.

I don't think it's your amps. It sounds more like it is coming from before the amps.. so maybe the preamp on the deck is going bad.. or perhaps the RCA's are going bad. Are all your ground wires the same size or larger than the power wires? Not more than 2ft long? What size power cable are you using? Fuse rating for the power wire? How good of RCA's are they? Are the outputs on the deck loose at all? Try hook up just one speaker and see if it still hums? Try hook it up to different spots on the amp.. different amp.. How is your capacitor hooked up? Power to cap, power from cap to amps, cap grounded with 2ft or less of 2ga? amps grounded with 2ga?

a GLI will isolate hums coming from the RCA outs on your deck into the amp........ my situation was the hum would change pitches with engine rev's. again, i didnt work much on it, i just found a bandaid for the problem really i'm sure, not really that tech savy but it took the noise away completely