Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock in Justy engine

I have a 93 Justy with 148,000 miles. It just started knocking and it sounds kinda like a rod except when you start moving and get 10mph or better it goes away. Sounds like it might be coming from rear of engine, closest to fire wall.

Oil pressure light doesn't come on and it is working. I can't see any metal shavings in oil. Now this knock really sound bad and it is loud. It isn't the ac compressor. The car runs good and uses no oil between its 3,000 mile changes. Sure seems strange this knock goes away with a little speed.

L.D.

sounds like an oil pump issue - despite the light not coming on - the rpm change is the clue - reseal the oil pump at least (OEM SEALS ONLY) - if you can, replace it - Ive heard a lot about justys eating oil pumps too - for the time being - try a heavy oil - say a 15w-50 or a 20w-something - that should help for the immediate time being - but I'd fix it sooner than later - MUCH sooner than later

Good Luck!!

I've worked on lots of engines, but never a Justy, oh I put timing belt on it over 50,000 miles ago, but that is all exterior, Now where is the oil pump?, have to pull engine? Would it do anygood in troubleshooting to put a oil presure quage on and see what oil pressure is? if so what should it be? With that many miles I don't want to spend much money or time because it could really throw craps any time.

L.D.

honestly - I dont know justy engines well, but the stuff I have says the pump is at the back of the engine - I'd recommend finding a factory service manual on ebay and buying it, they are VERY useful when you have to tear into a car - there is a forum specifically on Justys, but I do not know the URL

with oil pumps on soob engines, I find you have to take oil pressure with a grain of salt - because if the seals go, they suck in air, and pump the proper pressure, but its mostly air - the EA engines do that - dunno for sure about the justy's - the bottom line is, a knock is a BAD thing, so avoid driving it until you pinpoint it - if putting in heavier oil helps/stops the knock you know your problem is the oil pump, so its not a crapshot - however even if heavier oil doesnt help it could STLL be the oil pump - dont think I was clear - but im tired

Good Luck!!

The justy's do need the oil pumps replaced about every 100k, but once they start knocking, that usually signify's a rod knock - it's most likely already on the way out. Replace the pump if you like, but know the damage may already be done.

GD

I think you are right about damage done once you hear the knock. You know there must have a little play with it running for a while causing a lot of ware before it got bad enough to really hear it. I remembered when I bought the car there was a manual and I found it. That oil pump will not be easy to get to. After reading it, it would be a waste to go to that much trouble without replacing water pump along with several things that has to have a lot of ware that is hid in the engine. I just think it is ready to junk out. I bought it in 2001 with 67,000 miles. Sure wish I could run across another just like it was when I bought it. I would get it in hart beat.

L.D.

The Justys oil pump is located at the front of the engine. You will need to remove the drive belt or belts if you have AC, then the crank pully. You can then get to the triangular aluminum oil pump cover held on with 3 small bolts. Remove the cover (It has an o-ring seal) and the pump is there. It is a replacable geroter style pump. That is still available from Subaru for about $25.00. Be sure to check the pump shaft on the inner gear for heavy scoring and the outer portion of the pumping chamber located as part of the front cover....All this can be done with the engine in the car.

If it were mine I would install a new oil pump. Pull the oil pan and replace the main and rod bearings. Justys are known for oil pump and rod bearing issues. I have saved a few this way.

General rule: If it stops knocking as rpm increases it usually means the bearings have excessive clearence (.003 thousanths or more) or a weak pump. A weak pump has the ability to overcome these "Leaks" as rpm increases. I think a new pump and bearings will fix your Justy provided the crank journals are not "toasted"...You will need to inspect them.

Your 93 has the FI engine...These are hard to come by. If it spins a bearing and busts a connecting rod it will knock the balance shaft right out the side of the block. I think you can fix it for about $150 in parts.

BUT,....If ya don't want to fix it.. How close are you to North Carolina? I'll buy it from ya and convert my 88 4WD Justy to FI :brow:

Good luck,

Jim

I think you are right about damage done once you hear the knock. You know there must have a little play with it running for a while causing a lot of ware before it got bad enough to really hear it. I remembered when I bought the car there was a manual and I found it. That oil pump will not be easy to get to. After reading it, it would be a waste to go to that much trouble without replacing water pump along with several things that has to have a lot of ware that is hid in the engine. I just think it is ready to junk out. I bought it in 2001 with 67,000 miles. Sure wish I could run across another just like it was when I bought it. I would get it in hart beat.

L.D.

AHHRRRRR... Don't junk it!!! If you are close to NC I'll come get it!!! Last summer I rebuilt a 93 FI engine for my 90 4WD ECVT Justy 5 door. Since then I have been bleeding for another complete EFI car to use as a donor to convert my 88 carbed 4WD Justy to FI and equal length axleshafts.

Please PM me...I'll take the car if you are close!!

AHHRRRRR... Don't junk it!!! If you are close to NC I'll come get it!!! Last summer I rebuilt a 93 FI engine for my 90 4WD ECVT Justy 5 door. Since then I have been bleeding for another complete EFI car to use as a donor to convert my 88 carbed 4WD Justy to FI and equal length axleshafts.

Please PM me...I'll take the car if you are close!!

Well I'm not close to North Carolina. The good news, I found the problem, It was the crankshaft pulley loose. It runs just a quit as a mouse now. I've never had a car with this many miles. The thing is less than a quart low when I change oil and filter @ every 3,000 miles, amaging. If Tx. isn't too far for you to come, there is a running Justy for 350.00 near me. He said it run good but used oil and had 150,00. I called him about it when I thought mine had died. I think it was also a 93.

L.D.

ha ha - glad you found it - that was unexpected, but an easy fix!! - sorry I was pointing you in the wrong direction about the pump - I am an EA guy afterall :rolleyes: - and I had a poor diagram to look at (chilton's :-\ ) - if you like the car, the factory service manual is a VERY worthwile investment - its very detailed, and readable, and can generally be had inexpensively from ebay - good luck, and happy motoring

viehmann - what part of NC are you in? - Im just curious - I realy dont do justys (as you can see.... they're fine cars, but I just dont run across them much, and my family has owed my car since it was new) - anyway - thanks - btw - I can check because I know a JY that may have a FI Justy - Ive converted my car to SPFI from carb - FI rocks - lemme know if you want me to give them a buzz and see

Well I'm not close to North Carolina. The good news, I found the problem, It was the crankshaft pulley loose. It runs just a quit as a mouse now. I've never had a car with this many miles. The thing is less than a quart low when I change oil and filter @ every 3,000 miles, amaging. If Tx. isn't too far for you to come, there is a running Justy for 350.00 near me. He said it run good but used oil and had 150,00. I called him about it when I thought mine had died. I think it was also a 93.

L.D.

Good Deal!! I'm sooo glad you fixed it! As a precation I would pop the crank pulley off and replace the key in the key way at the nose of the crankshaft, A loose pulley can damage the key and it may break later on. I'm glad it wasn't terminal. Yeah, Texas is a long way from NC..Man that would have been a long drive!

85Sub4WD...I am in Midland, NC about 25 mi east of Charlotte. If you know of any local yards around your neck of the woods that have Justys please PM me. I am looking for a complete FI Justy since I will need the wireing harness as well to convert my 88. My 88 and 90 are in the photo gallery under my user name if you want to check out my projects.

Thanks,

Jim :)